Unfortunate - Chapter 14

It was a weird feeling...teleportation. One moment I was standing in front of Natsume and Youichi-Kun, and the next moment I'm in a completely different place.

I hurl up the remaining contents from my stomach onto the ground before me. I couldn't breathe.

'What's happening?' I questioned myself, 'Did I push myself too hard?'

"Get up. You still have work to do." A cold sinister voice commanded. Persona, my mind whispered.

'I can't afford to let him see me being weak, who knows what could happen.' I forced myself to get up, but the queasiness still remained. I avoided the puddle of throw up on the ground.

"Sir," I forced myself to say through gritted teeth.

I glared at him, my eyes blazing in anger. His slight smirk only served to make me angrier.

"Your Alice is so much more useful, it makes me question why the school hasn't found out about you earlier. Too bad you're extremely uncooperative, that attitude for starters..." His voice deepened, "It would be such a shame if a student in my class were to...disappear... because of your willfulness." His eyes curved into a crescent moon shape.

My face paled at the obvious threat, and I lowered my eyes in defeat. Fear coursed through my body, and I could feel sweat drip down my forehead.

'I can't let this man do anything to those people, they're children just like me...'

"I'm joking." Persona shrugged his shoulders in nonchalance.

I finally noticed my surroundings, "Why are we in the forest?" I questioned.

"No. Look again."

I squinted my eyes, and I could see a faint mist hovering in front of me.

"That... young lady is an Alice user using their Alice!" I couldn't comprehend how Persona managed to sound so excited despite his poker face.

His eyes looked scheming, and I could feel a shiver go down my spine.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked hesitantly. In reality I was deathly afraid... what if he made me to some sort of heinous crime.

"I'm glad to see you putting away that brave front Merem-Chan." His black eyes centered onto me. I gulped in fear.

"Boss, the people inside have found us out. They are now trying to escape."

Persona's face remained unchanging.

"Let them run, they won't be able to escape anyway. Merem, it's time to put your Alice to use."

"They found us, quick take the kids and hide! I'll try to stall them." A big man called out to his wife.

The children sitting at the dining table froze in fear, their mother quickly stopped cooking.

"How?" She could only gasp out, "How could they still find us?"

One of the children began to shake.

"Mom... I went outside yesterday to go play..."

The mom fell to her knees in utter sadness. "You left the barrier your father created?"

"Mom I'm sorry!" The girl cried out, "I knew he went out but I didn't stop him..."

They watched their mother in fear of her reaction. She sighed.

"Okay kids, follow me." She said in renewed vigor, "I won't let them take you all away without a fight."

She grabbed her youngest child and told the others to follow her. They quickly abandoned their table and trailed after her.