chapter 16

"Sir, Ingrid said I should deliver these files to you". Nicole said standing awkwardly in the middle of Ethan's office.

    "Okay just drop there and go". He said calmly without looking up which didnt surprise her at all.

    "Okay  sir". Sh3 said dropping it quietly and moving to the door she stopped with her hand still on the knob "Are you alright sir"? She asked looking back.

       "Yes am fine, what could possibly be wrong?" He asked his tone laced with sarcasm.

    "No I meant....

"Save it Nicole, you should have asked yesterday so please remove your mind and thoughts from my affairs". He said harshly

     "Okay sir". She replied "but just so you know that any time you are ready to speak about it I will be right here". She added with a sad smile before leaving

     Nicole closed the door softly as she went out, she released a heavy sigh. "What's his problem anyway?" She muttered to herself angrily biting her lower lip.

      "What's your problem girl"? Ingrid asked looking at her quizzically.

    "Nothing" . Nicole replied smiling briefly.

Ethan sat in his office continually running his fingers through his hair. He looked up as Miles walked in.

    "What's up man". He asked as Miles took a seat

"I should be asking you that question".

"She hasn't called me yet but I sent sasha to my parents for the week". Ethan said leaning back on his seat.

  "That's good thinking man", so what do you plan to do tomorrow,  its worker's day". Miles asked

    "I would just catch up on the work I havent had time to visit". Ethan replied "you?" .

    "Of course you would work on worker's day". Miles replied chuckling " well am going to ask Nicole to go out with me". He said smiling as he stood up "so I'll be going now". He said "I have a meeting in thirty minutes". He added looking at his wristwatch.

    "Wait man, did u say Nicole?" Ethan asked sitting up
"Yeah, why". Miles asked

"Oh nothing, just wanted to make sure". Ethan replied sitting back.

     As Miles  was leaving he pulled out his cell to text Nicole  meet me at the car pack in ten minutes all the while smiling

    Ten minutes later he walked to the garage and found Nicole waiting for him.

   "I got your text". She said raising her phone "you want something"?

   "Uhmm I wondered if you would be free tomorrow". He said in a rush "

    "Oh". Nicole said clearly surprised "why?"

"Well I wondered if you would like to go out with me sometime, tomorrow is worker's day I have nothing planned so". He answered

    "Well um Miles is there any special occasion"?.  She asked

    "No, I just wanna eat and maybe talk". He said shrugging and taking her hands in his

      "Well okay then, tomorrow then". She replied smiling looking down at their entwined hands.

    "Its a date then". He said smiling back and leaving.

"You found a new fish for your hook already"?.. a voice said behind her.

    Nicole turned and saw Thelma "excuse mebut have we met"? She asked.

    "Hi Nicole, am thelma Smith,  your CEO's wife". Thelma replied boastfully looking at Nicole.

    "Well nice to meet you Mrs. Smith, you are really more beautiful in person". She said stopping her self from socking her in the face.

    "I know but thanks anyway". Thelma replied flipping her hair. "So I see you've put sights on Miles seeing that Ethan will no longer be available for your clawing fingers". She said

    Nicole chuckled softly" Nice to meet you again ma'am smith". She said before turning and walking away from Thelma leaving her feeling stupid and visibly annoyed.

    "Hmmm guts". Thelma muttered before leaving as well.

     Nicole came back home that night from work and found her mother lying on the couch looking pale.

    "Mother, she called dropping her bag and rushing to her mother's side.

   "Nics, you are back". He mother said coughing.

"I need to get you to the hospital right away,  come on get up". Nicole said visibly panicked.

    "No need for that". He mother said sitting up.

"Why not mum? You are not getting better?" She cried out gesturing to her.

   "Am fine besides I took medications already". Her mother replied getting up from the couch all the while avoiding her eyes.

      "Mom seriously"? Asked Nicole getting up from her kneeling position.

   "Yes my dear I just need to rest okay". Goodnight". She replied heading up to her room still coughing.

   Just then Nicole's phone rang, she picked it after listening to the caller's voice she went outside. She saw Ethan leaning on his car that was parked outside her house.

     "Sir CEO". She called. Ethan looked and walked over to where she was standing and threw her in his embrace hugging her tightly.  After a moment Nicole raised her hands and hugged him back.

    After some minutes Ethan released her" I'm sorry i lost control". He said averting his eyes.

    "Its okay, everybody needs a hug once ina while". She said sitting on the stairs before looking at him to join her.

   "Well I just needed to not be alone tonight that's why am here". Ethan said sitting beside her.

    "Its okay, me too". She replied sighing.

"Why"? He asked looking at her

"Well my mum is not getting any better and she is refusing hospitals so". She replied sadly.

   Ethan didn't say a word he just took her hand in his and she leaned her head on his shoulder and they just sat there. He decided not to mention she didnt go out with Miles that it was killing him!! She already had enough problems so he just squeezed her hands in his.