Chapter 19

The next morning, Nicole didnt want to go to work, didnt want to leave her mum's side but Celine had insisted so here she was sitting in her office staring glumly at the wall.

"Hey Nics". Said miles cheerfully entering her office.
"Hi miles". She replied unenthusiastic .

"Are you okay?" He asked immediately coming to her side and raising her chin to look at him.

"Yeah I'm fine". She answered looking away.

"What's wrong Nicole?". He asked turning her face back to look at him.

"Nothing Miles, I told you I was fine". She said looking away again and standing up to face away from him. "I'm okay ,I just want to be alone". She added looking out the window.

"Nicole c'mon talk to me, what's wrong?. He prodded.

She turned and looked at him tears gathering in her eyes.

"Its my mum Miles she is sick". She said the tears now dropping onto her face.

"C'mon baby, let's just take her to the hospital she will be okay". He said coming closer to hold her.

She buried her face in his shoulder sobbing" No she won't Miles, she has cancer, I dont know how long she has". She responded now crying.

"What?!" Miles exclaimed holding her closer.

"What do I do?" She asked still crying.

"Its okay ,listen nics it will be alright just take it easy". He cooed stroking her hair.

30 mins later Nicole was sitting at her desk and Miles was sitting opposite her looking at her. Then her phone rang.

"Hello". She answered into her phone.

"Miss Nicole?".

"Dr. Andrew?". She answered getting up immediately

"You should come". He briefly said

"Is she okay?". She asked realization dawning on her as tears gathered in her eyes.

"She wants to see you, just hurry". He replied before ending the call.

"Hello? Hello? Dr. Andrew? Shit?!". She cussed before putting her phone down.

"What's wrong?". Miles asked getting up worry etched across his face.

"Its the hospital, it's my mum". She said wiping the tears across her face.

"Come I'll drive you". He said heading out the door.

Minutes later, Nicole was sitting beside her mom in her hospital bed as Miles stood outside the window speaking to the doctor.

"Nicole?". Her mum called weakly coming to conciousness.

"Mom,Am here". She answered getting up and stroking her hair.

"Oh my baby". How are you?". Celine asked tears gathering in her eyes.

"Look at you mom, how can you ask me how I am?". Please get up let's go home". Nicole replied sobbing.

"We will go home baby just listen to me before this drugs kick in again". Celine said touching her face.

"Am listen ma". She said closing her eyes in pain.

"Promise me you will be happy, promise me you wont mourn me too long putting your life on hold". You will be happy and you will take care of yourself". Celine said crying.

"Mom"... Nicole said sitting down and putting her hands to her eyes as the tears spilled.

"Please baby promise me". Celine said raising her head up.

"I promise you mom". She replied looking at her and wiping her tears.

"Thank you". Celine replied resting her head back on the pillow and closing her eyes wincing.

"Are you in pain ma". Nicole asked getting up and stroking her hair again.

"No baby am not". Celine replied smiling tearfully "now go get andrew for me please". She added .

"Okay ma". She replied getting up .

She went out and told dr. Andrew her mom wants him. He goes into the room and she and miles watch him from the shutters as leans down as Celine whispers something to him then he adjusts her drip and gives her an injection.

"She was in pain". Nicole affirmed nodding.

Miles turned her to him and hugged her holding her head against his chest. She hugged him crying .

Nicole was sleeping on the couch in her mum's hospital bed when the noise woke her, it was her mum gasping for breath, somehow she stood up and was leaning against the window, she got up immediately and rushed to her holding her, before sitting on the floor and cradling her, which was easy cause her mom was now so frail. "What are you doing ma?" She asked crying and stroking her hair.

"I wanted to see the light baby". Celine replied looking out the window. Then Nicole started shouting and that was how the doctor and nurses found her later.

Mrs. Celine Anderson was confirmed dead on 5th may by 5 am in the morning...A very bleak day for Nicole. She just sat in her mom's room staring at her covered corpse and Audrey and Miles found her like that.

"Oh nicole". Sobbed audrey coming in immediately and going to.hug Nicole,she looked like she had been crying all the way here.

"She's gone Audrey". Nicole said staring blankly into space not hugging her back.

Audrey looked back and looked into Nicole's eyes as tears dropped from her own face. "She's not Nicole, she will always be with us, you know that". She assured nicole crying .

Miles stood watching them ,his hands in his pocket not knowing what to do , he suddenly turned around pinching his eyes as tears gathered in them. He left the ward and went to lobby before dailing Ethan's number.

"Hey man". Said Ethan answering at the first ring "where are you? And I cant find Nicole either". He added

"We are at the hospital Ethan". Miles said

"What? Why? Hope you are fine?". Ethan asked worriedly.

"Yeah am good, its Nicole". Miles said looking into the ward from the shutters.

"Is she okay?! Ethan asked and Miles could tell he was standing now.

"Yeah she is good". He answered running his hands through his hair "her mom died this morning man". He added.

" What?!". Ethan shouted into the reciever. "I'll be right there". He added ending the call.