Nine. Jiang Yanli

Wei Wuxian had been holed up in Kaishi Library again for the whole night of Saturday after his visit to Director Lan's office, in which he was told that his current predicament over the lack of the Yiling Patriarch's origin materials everywhere mi...

Wei Wuxian had been holed up in Kaishi Library again for the whole night of Saturday after his visit to Director Lan's office, in which he was told that his current predicament over the lack of the Yiling Patriarch's origin materials everywhere might as well be left as is.

He dedicated the night to sweep the library archive one last time before he allowed himself to give up. It was for the better. He never found anything more than he already did and discussed it with his class. It might be a flaw from the creator's side for not writing an origin story for the Yiling Patriarch. Then he cannot do anything about it.

Maybe he should just make things up. Wei Wuxian grinned at this thought. Or better yet, make the whole class create one.

And that's exactly what Wei Wuxian did.

Monday came with his classes with the second years, Wei Wuxian did his usual. He reviewed last week's discussion, answered queries from the students, which also included whether Wei Wuxian had something to add about the Yiling Patriarch.

"Actually," Wei Wuxian tidied his materials on the side of his desk, stood up while taking off his reading glasses, "It turns out that our character, the Yiling Patriarch, has no known origin. His involvement in the story is as we already tackled in class."

The students all made disappointed noises.

"I know, I know," Wei Wuxian nodded, "So, as a part of the recreational activity of the class, rather than an exam about the Yiling Patriarch, I would have you guys partner up by twos and submit a short story of the Yiling Patriarch's origin in your own interpretation. There is no right or wrong, be creative and enjoy the process. The deadline will be this Friday."

Just as Wei Wuxian said that, the bell rang for the class to finish that made the students gasped, all wanted to inquire more about the abrupt homework. Nearly half of the class raised their hands, ignoring that the class had ended.

"Those who have questions can stay, those who need to catch their next class can go ahead. You can find me later if there is anything you need help."

A lot of the students left the room, rushing to their next class while the rest stayed. One by one, Wei Wuxian allowed each one of the remaining students to ask their questions.

"Can we use other characters in our version, Professor Wei?" One of the Jiang Clan students asked, "I mean, for example, I want to add Sect Leader Jiang Wangyin the First into my version. Felt like they could be best friends."

"Best friends?" Wei Wuxian almost choked hearing that, finding that both shocking and hilarious at the same time. "I mean," He grinned, massaging the uneasiness on his chest, "I did not think of that possibility, but sure looks promising. Of course, you can use all the characters we have discussed so far. The more, the merrier." He encouraged them.

"Great! I'm going to add Lan Wangji on my one too," One of the Lan Clan students cheered after hearing what their teacher said. Before he could celebrate more, he noticed his classmate, who is coincidentally named after the said ancestor eyeing his for a split second, his face turned pale, "I-I mean, the first Lan Wangji, Hanguang-Jun," He explained.