Chapter 2.4

In that cave there was no other entrance or way out of it, besides crossing the spring through which they had all come so far. Nevertheless, there was a great hole in the ceiling, right where the crab had crashed.
<<If we want to keep moving, it can only be that way>> Shikamaru decided.
Inside the cave were some gigantic pillars, going from the ground to the hole. The group continued its advance across a space where hundreds of crystal pillars lay, one on top of another. The wind was blowing against them. The sound of the waves could be heard. When they came out of the cave, the sun was shining as if they were at a beach.
- What place is this? How can the sun shine so bright in a place such as this when we're supposed to be under ground?
That was not all of it. Looking around, they found out that the surface bended. There was no horizon. What was over their heads, fuzzy and cloudy, was not the blue sky but forests and lagoons. Did that meant that the ground and sky were inverted?
<<Maybe we have all been affected again by a genjutsu? Or maybe we are in another dimension?>> Shikamaru restlessly thought.
<<First is to gather information>>
Shikamaru and the others crossed through the sky on top of birds that Sai had created for each of them.
- Then, Shikamaru... was is that? - Sakura asked, who on top her bird, was pointing to what appeared to be a sun, shining high above their heads.
- Probably is some sort of artificial Sun... I think this is an artificial space created underground.
He imagined that, if the enemy had power enough to move the Moon, then creating a space underground and an artificial sun was a piece of cake for him.
- First those puppets and now an artificial Sun? That bastard only knows how to copy things! - Naruto spit out.
- Hinata, can you see our enemy?
- Is all vey quiet. It's not around here - answered Hinata, who was searching through the forest beneath them with her byakugan.
- Shouldn't the enemy be aware that we are already here? Why doesn't he attack us?
- You're right... I don't like at all this strange feeling of quietness... - Shikamaru said as he looked closely the dense forest extending beneath him.

Inside of the dense forest, three ninja puppets looked at the sky, through the top of the trees. They were inside some bubbles, watching as Naruto and the others flew across the sky over some birds. Not even Hinata's byakugan was able to see through those special bubbles. When the birds got out of sight, the ninja puppets began to follow Naruto and the others.

Even in an underground place such as that, night still existed. It was the same artificial sun that, without setting, casted a cold light, much like moonlight. That sun did both tasks, it was the sun during the day, and moon at night. They did not know if there was  a machine or some sort of energy, but what was certain, is that it was a very clever device.
Shikamaru and the team set up a camp with a small fire, inside the forest, to get dinner.
- Is all really very quiet... - Sai mumbled.
- Who knows if right now a meteorite could be falling on the Earth's sufarce...
- Bet you anything that people in the Village are destroying them all...
Shikamaru slightly watched at the watch he had in the palm of his hand. The moment towards the definitive destruction of the earth kept coming, every time closer.
*
- Everybody stay calm! - Tsunade shouted from the top of the hill.
Beneath her, the road was filled with citizens from the Land of Fire, carrying their personal belongings.
- The shelter is big enough to hold every citizen from the Land of Fire! Please move in order! Don't want any fights over who gets in first!
After the last Great Ninja War, Tsunade, known as the fifth Hokage, gave her seat to the now Hokage, Kakashi Hatake. Regardless, right now she was responsible of leading the evacuation and give medical attention to the wounded. All with the object of making sure everyone in the Land of Fire was safe.
- A meteor! And it's huge!
The crowd started to yell and rush toward the entrance of the shelter, behaving recklessly. Leaving behind an iridescent glow, an enormous meteorite fell from the sky. In direction towards the Leaf Hidden Village.
As much as Tsunade yelled, panic had now entered amongst the crowd.

- Fifth door! Release!
It was Rock Lee who had stood up to the chaos that had sprang on the Hidden Leaf Village. He jumped towards the meteorite, without worrying about his life, directing his fist to it. He rapidly ascended, getting closer to the meteorite.
- I will protect the Village even if I have to give my life for it!
As his body was burning, the more he opened his eyes. Each time he was closer and closer. He was now in front of the meteorite.
- Aaaaaaargh!
Rock Lee hit the meteorite and went through it. The cracks broke across the rock, it rambled and exploted, dispersing in every direction.
- Splendid!
From a Hospital window, setting in a wheel chair, Gai, the mighty, was watching Lee's great job. Without even trying to wipe his tears from the emotion, his raised his tump up, as a symbol of approval of the heroic feat his favorite student had done. In the cast of his leg, the kanji's that form the word "youth". His whited teeth glistening.
*
Naruto, hiding amongst the shadows of a bush, was pending of Hinata's emotional state. She was in the middle of the forest, seating alone, fixing a scarf. It was the red scarf that had been damaged when she fell from the rooftop.
<<Is that scarf really for me?>>
From the moment of the genjutsu inside the bubble, Naruto had not been able to behave naturally, being so conscious of Hinata. Whenever his eyes met hers, he got very nervous and all he could do, was to force a smile. Hinata kept smiling to him as she had always done, but when her gaze moved to the knitted scarf that Naruto wore around his neck, for some reason, she would look somewhere else and lower her head.
<<Is it possible she is upset because I'm wearing my scarf? Then I have a problem, because I'm terrible at recognizing girls feelings... Well just in case, I will remove it for now...>>
Naruto easily took off the scarf he wore around his neck, and place it in his backpack.

Next morning, Shikamaru and the team members of the expedition, were soaring over the forest on top of four ink birds, since Naruto and Hinata were both on a single bird.
As Naruto directed the bird, Hinata was concentrated, examining everything with her byakugan.
- Shikamaru! I can see a town about 20 kilometers ahead!
- Great, let's see what can we found out there!
Shikamaru waved his hand, sending instructions to Sai and Sakura.
Hinata had already realized that Naruto wasn't wearing the scarf around his neck. When they saw this morning, he was not using it.
<<Why would he had done it...?>>
When Hinata looked at Naruto, he would realize and reply with a smile... although a little forced.

The small and ancient town was in a mountain hillside. It was possible that in the past, it could had been a ver beautiful city. The houses were of a cave type, carefully excavated in stone, and extending from the mountain base to its top. The abundance of ivy and undergrowth throughout the entire city, made them think that it had been abandoned for hundreds of years. There were Shinobi tools stranded around, all rusty.
They had no idea what type of set up could be around there. But what they did know, is that this was not an illusion.
- Looks like in the past, this used to be a ninja village - said Sai with a low voice.
In the afternoon and to verify the security of the place, they decided to divide in two groups to explore the area and gather information. One would be formed by Hinata and Naruto, and the other by Shikamaru, Sakura and Sai. In the zone of the city in which they landed, black marks of burning could be seen.
- There was a fire here...
- Could it had been a war..?
On the inside of a abandoned house they found a multitude of human bones, piled up to the ceiling.
- Anyway, all of this is very far from being normal... - Shikamaru said as he looked a mountain made of human skulls.

Naruto insisted to Hinata to take a break. Finally, she accepted. Although Hinata appeared to be really awake, in reality she was exhausted. When they at last got a to a place to rest, she sat somewhat dizzy.
<<Hinata... is worried about Hanabi, and is trying really hard>>
- When you're tired, the most important thing is to eat well!
- But I'm not hungry...
- It doesn't matter! You have to eat! Come, I'll eat half of it.
Naruto offered to Hinata the emergency supplies.
- Really... I don't feel like eating right now...
They were silence for a moment.
- Me, when I feel exhausted, for whatever the reason, first I eat until I'm full and then I go to sleep. Then, after a while, I am as new...
Hinata raised her head and stared at Naruto.
- What happens? Well it works for me... Is what you get for being so simple, ha, ha, ha...
Hinata smiled and grabbed the ration Naruto was giving her.
- Thank you Naruto... I'm going to eat...