Chapter 4.8

Naruto and the others leaded Toneri, who had now gone back to his usual form, to the underground cemetery in ruins.
- This place is...
As expected, Toneri was speechless when he stood in front of all the graves.
- Hamura's soul led me here...
At listening to Hinata's words, Toneri kneeled in front of the graves and lowered his head with shame. He remained like that, silence and still, for a long time. Finally, he raised his head and started to talk softly.
- I... All of this has happened because I disobeyed my father's last will...
When he was about to die, his father got worried about his little child future, who he was leaving alone in the Moon. He thought that, with the puppets around there, his life would not be a motive for concern. But human beings needs more than food, clothes and shelter.
- When I die, got to Earth. Then, forget about Hamura's celestial decrete as well the Ootsutsuki clan destiny.
<<Find a place to live, find friends and live by yourself. People should never live alone...>>
But Toneri stayed to live in the Moon. The loneliness was hard, but when he thought of his ancestors desires, he did not feel like going away from there.
"People should never live alone..." Those last words of his father, now weighed like never before to him. Humans makes mistakes. Make a mistake is a prof that you are human. But human beings also correct themselves when they take the wrong path.
- And I... made a mistake...
- It is not too late yet, Toneri. Let's make your father's last wish a reality and go to Earth. I'm sure they will gladly accept you.
- No. I'll stay in the Moon... Here I will atone for my sins...
After saying that, Toneri got up.
- Toneri... - Naruto called him. Toneri turned around and gave him a sad smile.
- The Moon will never again fall over the Earth... never again...
And, with that phrase, he disappeared, walking towards somewhere.

Once the mission was completed, they had to rush back. The space which connected Earth to the Moon was about to close. Naruto and Hinata, crossed the crab cave and continued through the place with the overlapping giant cristals.
Just before leaping into the spring, Naruto said something in a low voice.
- I was also very alone when I was a child. It could be said that, deep down, Toner and me were alike. If I hadn't had you or any or any of the Village friends... Maybe I would have also ended up like Toneri...
In the darkness, surrounded by sand bubbles and bright bubbles, Naruto and Hinata looked at each other, over one sand bubble. They were looking into each other's eyes... When Naruto smiled, Hinata answered him with another smile. The both felt there was no discomfort now, no barrier, nothing that would intrude between them. Hinata doubted for a moment, as she tried to hug Naruto.
- What is it?
- Naruto... There is something I want to ask you...
The scene in which the two of them were in front of his house, returned to her mind.
<<It was specially knitted for me. It's so worm... - Naruto happily answered>>
- Who made you that scarf?
Naruto remained still, his gaze fix at Hinata. Naruto, in silence, took out the knitted scarf from his jacket.
- My late mother knitted it specially for me...
- Eh?
Hiruzen, who had been Naruto's tutor, had received it from Kushina when she was still alive and had kept it in a box. Konohamaru, Hiruzen granchild, had discovered it and gave it to Naruto.
- Really...? I had thought that...
- No... The truth it's that I...
- Come on, sister!? Until when do you think to stay speaking! I'm leaving!
Since it was a familiar voice, when she turned her head, she saw Hanabi standing at her side, on a sand bubble. Her little sister laughed as she spinned the doll hanging from her kunai. Her eyes had returned to their eye socks.
- Ha... Hanabi...? Can you see?
- Yes! Thanks to Sakura!
Hanabi hugged Sakura and smiled.
- Thank you... - Hinata mumbled. Overwhelmed, she started to cry and bowed her head to Sakura, thanking her for all of what she had done, for her and her little sister. She had saved them both and she felt overflowing with gratitude towards her.
- Come on, quick! This place it's begging to fall apart! - Shikamaru said, rushing them.
Naruto and Hinata looked at the darkness above them. Unlike the last time, when they had to go down, they now had go up into the darkness.
Around them, countless bubbles of sand and the bright ones, floated by. Naruto and Hinata jumped together, without releasing their hands. They used one sand bubble to support and jump onto another and so on... They were jumping again and again, until reaching the top. Each time they passed near to a bright bubble, in its surface, a memory of themselves appeared.

The first time they meet in a forest.
- It's not ok to pick up on girls!
Naruto saved Hinata from three kids who were bullying her.

Those Iruka classes in the ninja academy, which they missed, also appeared reflected in the bubbles.
- Imagine if tomorrow were the last day on Earth, who would you like to spend it with? - Iruka's voice sounded in the place.

Now it was time for the battle against pain. Hinata's majestic figure fighting to protect a wounded Naruto.
- Because I love you, Naruto.
Hinata blushed at remembering that moment.
The both keep ascending each time more and more as they watched the scenes from their memories. However, that place was crumbling. They heard the sound of the bright bubbles exploding and the sand crackling, each time closer to them.
- Let's hurry, Hinata!
- Yes! - Hinata nodded with her head.
Then, when she placed a foot in the next bubble, she slipped. For an instant, their hands separated.
- Naruto!
Hinata was falling... Luckily, Naruto reacted just in time to hold Hinata by the arm. Draw her nearer, lifted her up in his arms and kept ascending.
- Hinata... Do you remember when, a long time ago, in the class Iruka Sensei asked us, whom we would like to spend our last day on Earth with?
Hinata, in Naruto's arms, nodded.
- I didn't wrote anybody's name. Had no parents, no friends... No one came to my mind. But now, it's all very clear for me. I want to spend with you all the time we have left, from now on, until death due is part.
Hinata could not speak. She knew what it meant to someone, to be so happy not to be able to speak. Hinata, in silence, rested her face on Naruto's chest.
That place was about to collapse. It almost looked like they would not have time to get out.
- Hinata, hold on to me. Just as he had told her, Hinata placed her arms around Naruto's neck.
- And don't you ever let go of me, ok?
- No... I never will...
Hinata swore in her heart that she would never be apart from him.
- Rasengan!
Given that Hinata was now hanging to Naruto, he had his hands free to do what he had wanted to do. Throw a rasengan against one of the sand bubbles. Launched by the energy released from the attack, they both went up and traveled the whole place with the speed of a rocket.

Naruto and Hinata flew out, straight from the spring, with the shape of a water column. And they kept ascending, they had too much impulse!
Shikamaru and the others, who had already gotten out of the water, were watching at the sudden water column, in which the two of them ascended through the cave.
- Eeehhh! Watch out for the roof! You're going too fast!
The cave roof was so close. Hinata, her face hidden in Naruto's chest, heard him scream.
- As if this roof...!
Naruto made an even bigger rasengan in his hand.
- Was able to stop us!
He crashed the rasengan against the roof, completely destroying the rock.

On the Leaf Hidden Village outskirts, snow was falling over a forest area, making it into a beautiful snowed landscape. A ramble in the ground, an explosion in a snowy field and from the smoke. Naruto showed up with Hinata in his arms. They both went hight, buy really, really hight in the night sky. After they had completed the ascend, they stayed there, floating in the air... until time stopped.
- Naruto...
- Hinata... Thank you...
With an impressive full Moon behind them, Hinata's shadow approached her face to Naruto's shadow; and both shadows joined in an everlasting kiss.***

—————————————————————-*** Ok, I must confess something

*** Ok, I must confess something. Actually the last words of the book are: "and both shadows overlapped".
But that didn't sounded right to me, so I made just a little editing. Anyway, you can choose which one suits you best. That's why I also place the original ending here.

I just love this last image! Sadly this one is not in book, so I just did simple editing from the movie...

Well that's it for now, final chapter (epilogue) plus surprise plus bonus material... mmm... later today.... it's 2 am...
Hope you are enjoying this story and thanks for reading!
Lu