one step back

"Oh, Lee, dear," Molly came rushing to the door. "Its lovely to see you."

"Mrs. Weasley, I was just here last Sunday," Lee laughed, hugging the woman.

"And it has been too long," Molly let go and turned her attention to her son.

"Hello, Mum," Percy smiled, giving his mother a hug. He was careful to keep the pie from getting crushed during her python-like hug.

"Percy," the woman cried happily. "Why don't you let me have that, and go round up you're siblings for dinner."

"Yes, ma'am," Percy gave Molly a kiss on the cheek before venturing further into the house.

"Lee, would you help me set the table?"

"Of course, Mrs. Weasley."

_______

Conversations had ranged from the intricacies of the muggle metro system to the latest match between the Hollyhead Harpies and Puddlemere United, but not once had it strayed to Percy's promotion or their secret.

Lee and Percy had agreed that they would wait until conversation had flowed in that direction. It seemed like that would never happen.

"So you've finished up with training?" Arthur asked Lee.

"Uh, yeah," she smiled. "I started in the office on Monday."

"Have they sent you off on any exciting missions yet?" Ginny asked.

"No," Lee pursed her lips. "Its a lot more boring than I had expected. A lot of minor cases, really. Not that they'll be sending me on missions much longer."

Now was the time. Lee nudged Percy with her foot to get his attention.

"And why's that?" Arthur asked.

"Well, uh Perce," her hands started to get sweaty. "You wanna start off?"

The room had quieted down exponentially. It was a little terrifying.

"Sure love," he nodded. "Well, I guess the first thing is that I have been promoted."

"Oh Percy, that's lovely," Molly grinned. "What's your new position?"

"I am now the Junior Assistant to the Minister of Magic," Percy said with pride. "Which will be especially helpful considering that-"

Percy didn't have the chance to finish, as Arthur interrupted.

"Fudge? Percy, don't you think that's a bit of a far jump?" He asked.

In an instant the air had shifted. What was once warm and inviting now hung with ice and dread.

Lee reached out and grabbed Percy's hand, fearing the worst. She gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I'm sorry?"

"You can never be too careful in times like these. What if Fudge is using you?" Arthur continued. "To keep tabs on us, and the Order."

"That's impossible," Percy scoffed.

"Percy," Molly chimed in. "You don't know Fudge like we do. That man will do anything to stay in power, even if it means stifling the light."

"So you agree, then?" Percy said quietly.