all apologies

The place seemed familiar, almost like she had been there before. Somewhere, in some distant memory, the place was painted in color, instead of the blinding white.

Lee stepped forward, unsure of what to do.

"You're so tall," a gravelly voice chuckled.

Lee whipped around.

"Nickie?"

He looked better. Healthy, even. Unlike he did the last few months. He looked like he did before she went to Hogwarts.

His hair was still long, and a little greasy, but his eyes weren't bloodshot. And the bags that seemed to be permanent were gone. He grinned, looking like a goof as he did so.

"No, it's your other brother," he snorted.

Lee gave a small smile. She glanced around the place once again. It wasnt exactly a room. But it wasnt anywhere specific.

"Where are we?"

"I don't know, it's your mind," Nickie shrugged.

"Am I dead?"

"I dunno," he shrugged again.

"You are so helpful," Lee rolled her eyes.

He didn't reply, opting to give her a sheepish smile. Lee turned away from him and started to walk again. Surely there was a point to all this.

"I'm sorry."

She turned, "For what?"

"Not being there," Nickie looked away, chewing on his bottom lip. "I should have tried harder."

"You did all that you could."

"But it wasn't enough, was it?"

"I forgave you a long time ago, you know."

"Yeah, I know," he nodded. "I wish I was there, sometimes. Imagine, me, an uncle."

"That's a terrifying thought," Lee laughed. "But I wish you could be there too."

"The universe sucks, huh," Nickie chuckled. "Just promise you wont name any of your brats after me."

"Like I would give you the honor," Lee smirked.

"You thought about it."

Lee only smiled sheepishly. She had.

"Just for a moment."

Lee's eyes flicked down to the t-shirt he proudly wore. It was a faded Black Sabbath tee. She remembered him wearing it all the time. It had been one of the few things both Nickie and their dad had enjoyed.

"You're not going to be here much longer," Nickie told her.

"What? I don't want to leave," she frowned.

Lee had felt it too. That gentle pull that strained her heart.

"Yes you do," the man smirked. "I know your dying to see that kid."

"But I don't know when I will see you again."

"You'll see me again," he reassured. "When your hair is grey and your face is all wrinkly. Promise me that, yeah?"

I love you.

"Yeah, okay."

I love you, too.

"Bye, Leah," he smiled sadly.

Lee gave into the pull.

"See you, Nickie."