Chapter 53

Ellison Taylor

"Marilyn is very upset with you." My grandma started.

"Ian doesn't feel that way, grandma." I said.

"What you mean? He doesn't even want to be friends with her? Why? She is so beautiful and so loveable."

"Not everyone finds her loveable or likeable, we need to accept some people may not like you back no matter how hard you try.." I said.

"Hush." She shush me off. "I have raised Marilyn to be a strong and loveable woman. It's because you, a selfish brat is not allowing them to spend time, together."

My mouth dropped open at her words.

"Ian is my boyfriend." I said.

"No wonder." She said and for a moment I thought she understood how I felt. "You are being such a brat. You know if they spend time together. He will fall for her because you are nothing like her. You lack mannerism, you are so clumsy and so.. you're a disappointment to the Taylor's family." And that's when Brent snatched the phone from my ear.

I started crying with her harsh words. I don't know why she never liked me? She always compared me to them. We sure are nothing alike, but that's how it is. She needs to accept that we are different and unique in our own way.

Brent snapped back at my grandma. This is my first time seeing him talk to my grandma like that. He is always gentle with elderly. I think Grandma said something that made him upset.

"You hear what you are saying? You are the one being unfair and teaching your grandchildren to be selfish. You are allowing Marilyn and supporting her to snatch people's boyfriend and happiness. You think that's good? You think walking around with heels and dresses makes you elegant and acceptable in the society? You need a reality check then. You need to be fair with your grandchildren and so what? if Ellison doesn't like your stupid tea parties and doesn't dress up like you all? She is still Ellison."

Grandma must have said something to him and he whispered.

"Not everyone will like us, grandma. No matter how much you try. There will be few people who will never like us just like you grandma. Just like how you never treated her right. You need to allow Marilyn to solve her own problems by herself. She is not a child anymore."

He ended the call and breathed heavily. "Are you okay?" He asked. I shake my head, No.

"It's okay, If you want to cry." He said. "I'm here."

Marilyn pretended that she didn't do anything when we stepped out of the room. Brent said he is going to call someone and left me with Claire. Claire was glaring at Marilyn. I must say, Marilyn is scared of Claire and I would be too. She has a glare that can make you run for the door and that's what Marilyn did. She left to go back to her room.

"Pack your things." Claire suddenly announced.

"What?" I said.

"You will stay with me at my place." She said and I was surprised by the sudden announcement.

No, I'm not going to run away from my problems again. I shake my head, No.

"I'm not going to run away from my problems again, Claire."

"Sometime Ell, it doesn't mean you are walking away from the problem. It means distancing yourself from toxic people that keeps hurting us." She said.

Brent came back looking calmer than before. "Did I miss anything?" He asked.

"Claire said I should sleep over at her place today."

"True.. I think you should distance yourself from Marilyn for a little while."