Chapter 34

"Hailey? Who's Hailey?" Samantha asks. I look over at Saige to see her staring at the wall, frozen stiff. She slowly looks up at me with broken eyes.

"H-How do you know about Hailey?" She asks. Jacob rubs her back and I walk in front of her, her eyes following my every move. I crouch down in front of her and clear my throat.

"Um... When we... Found Valerie." I begin, emphasizing the word found. "There was a video. I pressed play to see a little girl. She looked just like you two. Brown hair. Light brown eyes. Well she cut her throat..." Siage's breathing stops. "And Valerie... The Valerie on Camera. Started to scream. So we think Valerie... This Valerie." I look at Valerie's door and then back at Saige. "Was being tortured by replaying that video. So we brought it here w-"

Saige's eyes go black and she growls. She pushes me back and we stand up. She pushes me into the chair and holds my wrist there. "You. Brought. It?!"

"Well we had no other choice!" I yell. She growls again and I let my canines grow, snarling at her.

"You could've burned the thing that hurt my sister!" She responds. I kick her away from an her back hits the wall. "My sister died because of suicide..."

"And I just choked on my own blood... As if I slit my throat." I sigh. "Valerie's in pain. She's still kidnapped in her mind. She's still with Jaiden and that video. Or back in the cell with the actual Hailey. I was a Hailey Point of view."

"We can't all be big bad Alphas Alexander." Saige says through her gritted teeth. "We don't know what it's like to have half of the wolf population after us. But you put my sister in trouble by not killing hin when you had the chance. And that's. On. You."

"Babe..." Jacob warns. I glare and chuckle slightly.

"No Jacob she's right." Everyone looks at me. "I'm the reason my mate is in pain. I'm the reason Jaiden kidnapped her! I'm the reason they tortured her. I'm even the reason he's dead now." Saige tilts her head and I put my hand on my head. "Yeah Valerie literally spilt him in half using her mind!" I put my hands on my hips and glare at her. "I'm the reason for that too! Stiles can you believe it?! David? Landon?!"

"Alexander I don't mean it li-"

"No you're absolutely correct! Hell I might even be the reason Hailey's dead!" Everyone winces at my hard tone. "Because I'm such a fucking MONSTER that I would put..." I feel my nails extending and I punch the wall. I hear gasps and I point at Saige. "My mate..." I say with a trembling voice. "In the damn hospital. I am such. A. Monster." And with that I shift into my wolf and run out of the hospital, ignoring my name bring called.

I run for hours until I find myself in Canada. How? Well I have no idea. I just ran. No destination. No pit stops. Just me and my wolf. I shift into my human form and cradle myself on the ground, my head in my hands.

"Alexander?" I look up to see Valerie in her hospital gown. I stare at her in shock as she sits by me. She looks up at the stars and I open my mouth. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too." I respond honestly. She sighs and closes her eyes, her head on the tree. "H-How are you here? You're supposed to be in the hospital w-"

"I am in the hospital." She says. I tilt my head and she smiles. "I'm dead Xander."

"What?!" I yell. She opens her eyes and turns her head sideways to look at me. "What the hell do you mean?!"

"I mean... I'm dead." She shrugs and looks in the sky again. "6 feet under the ground with my real family."

"How are you here?! Why are you so calm?!" Her smiles widens and I frown. "Stop distracting me! You're dead Valerie! Stop smiling like it's the best thing in the world!"

"You... Are the best thing in the world Xander." I fight a smile and grow even more confused. "Dying isn't all that bad. It's no pain. No responsibility. Kinda like the woods. Besides I'm not fully dead."

"What?" I croak. She sighs and I whimper. I lay my head in her lap and she runs her fingers through my hair.

"I keep flatlining." She whispers. I look up at her and she looks down at me with dull eyes. "The doctors can't explain it. But it's my time. And I couldn't leave without saying goodbye."

"Valerie no. You're only 17. And half mated. You have a life to live. With me baby." I remove her hand from my hair and she kisses my forehead.

"There's one more thing I have to do before I go." I sit up and she pulls me into a hug, wrapping her arms around my neck. I kiss her mark and sigh. "Close your eyes baby." I follow her instructions and I feel lips on mine. She pulls away and after a few seconds I feel a pain in my shoulder. I cry out and the pain stops after a while. She carefully puts my head against the tree and I see her stand up.

My vision clears and I see Valerie smile sadly at me. "Ready?" I hear. I turn to see a girl. She looks just like Valerie and Saige. Valerie nods and the girl reaches out her hand.

"Hailey?" I breathe. The girl looks at me and nods with a smile. Valerie takes her hand and whistles. Cerberus appears and he looks at me longingly before barking and running to Valerie.

"Goodbye Alexander." Valerie says. She looks at Hailey and nods. Hailey waves to me before I see a bright light. Then I fall into the darkness.

Knowing my mate is now... Truly gone.

---------Authors note----------

So like... Don't hate me?

Sorry for the sad ending... Maybe you hate me. Maybe you don't. But either way I'm sorry.

Don't hate me. Please.😅