Chapter Eleven: Old Friends Together

Doc and Dallas stared at each other, not breaking the gaze, the only thing being heard was their breaths, which seemed to echo in the bathroom walls. Doc was the first to break the silence with a dry laugh, and small, salty tears running down her cheeks.

"God dammit, you know I hate you, right," she chuckled. She didn't mean it, she still liked him after all those years. A small smile was placed across her face. Dallas only nodded, chuckling along with her, flashing her one of his signature smirks.

"Yeah, I know. I just wanna know something, it's been on my mind. How's the rest of the gang?" Dallas was looking down at her, an eyebrow quirked up as he awaited her response. Even though he knew they probably didn't want anything to do with him, he still wanted to know what happened after he left to his old makeshift family. 

Doc sighed, recalling everything that happened after Dallas had left them all. She still decided to talk to him about it, though, he still deserved to know everything.

"Vin kinda took your role, tried to lead us. God, he was such a softie, he couldn't control any of us. After you left, me, James, and Will all went fuckin' crazy, starting shit with the other gangs and stuff." Doc fiddled with her hands nervously, she sighed, once again, trying to recall everything. 

"We kinda- we kinda started a big rival thing with that gang, more than when you left. Remember the guys who kept starting shit with us? We kinda all ganged up on em, roughed em up. We didn't hurt any of em' too bad, but they started getting worse and worse. Vinnie didn't have anything to do with it, I don't even know why they went after him." Her voice started to waver, it hitched in parts when she told the story. She let out another dry laugh, only stopped when she hiccuped due to the tears now pouring harder.

"They just got him one day, took him out, didn't even come after us. Just wanted our leader, and since you weren't there, he was the next best thing. I couldn't even save him, fuck I tried. He just gave out." 

Dallas didn't know what to do in the situation other than lightly run on the small of her back. He didn't think words could even begin to help her, that there weren't words out there that could even begin to give condolences. He gave her a small smile, still rubbing her back, stiffly, awkwardly. He wasn't good at comforting people. 

Doc started to calm herself down enough to allow her to start to continue. 

"After Vin died, we all didn't know what to do. We both knew we'd be fucked if we kept it up, and since we were the last few who didn't have a big ass criminal record, we started working. We thought that if we got enough money, that if we got a house, got stable, everything would be ok. Turns out New York wasn't the best for getting out of the streets in, such a horrible place. James and Will always said that I was the only one that would be able to make it out of that shit hole. Make a name for myself."

Dally laughed, remembering how they all said she would be the one to take care of them. She was the only one who wasn't a die hard criminal, one of the few on the streets who wasn't surviving off their mile long criminal record. 

"Apparently James and Will had some secret savings they had been hiding from me. They gave it to me, said they found a cheap place down here that I should go to. That I was the one who needed to get out, that they didn't have enough money for them to go, too. Said I need to get all the money I can down here, make my name known. God, I love those guys." Her tears kept coming as she remembered her friends, a smile on her face as she recalled all their past times together. She was so grateful for the new life they allowed her to have outside of that shit hole of New York. 

"I haven't seen them in so long, I really wish I could. They'd really love it down here, with all you guys. I've been saving up to bring 'em here. I'm so close to getting them down here, to get us all a big house, to get us all together again." 

Doc leaned up against the bathroom sink, laughing, looking down. She paused, thinking, before looking up at Dallas, ready to ask him finally. 

"You ready to be apart of the gang again, Dal?"