It's not me!

"Blah Blah"

More blushing from the girl.

"B-blah Blah"

~ One long explanation later ~ 

To summarize it short the Adventurer's Guild is where people can make money in exchange for fulfilling a requested task.

(A/N: Note that I change mercenary guild to Adventurer's guild since that sounds better)

"A-all job requests a-are over t-there. By the board," the girl said shyly as she pointed to the left where a huge wooden board stands. There were multiple pieces of paper pinned onto the board as what I assume were job requests. The pay for each job varies as it depends on how dangerous the job is or its difficulty. 

The people who worked for this guild are called Adventurers. Adventurers all start from F-rank except for special cases. You can work your way up from F-rank as you take on more tasks. Rank determines what type of jobs you can take. The higher the rank, the more diverse the job options and the higher the reward. 

"Ranks d-determine your credentials and a-ability." Fira said shyly. Thus, jobs with extremely high pay are usually reserved for high-ranked adventurers.

Therefore, if I start now, I would be an F-ranked Adventurer whose only job options would be small hunting requests and the likes. The pay is even more pathetic, ranging from $5 - $15. Only a few were worth more than $15. 

Ugh. Whatever. Little is still better than nothing.

"Then... where can I sign up?" I asked.

"H-here. I-I'll help you."

The girl gave me a form to fill out. Surprisingly, anything that concerning your identity was optional, thus I didn't fill it in. I wanted to keep my identity hidden as much as possible. Although I wonder how they identify their members.

"Members are identified by their mana." The girl explained when I asked. Apparently magic, or more specifically, mana is unique for everyone. To put it into an analogy, mana is like fingerprints.

I looked back at the form and the only required thing was code Name. Makes sense since people have to call me something right?

Thinking for a minute, I decidedly wrote down a code Name. It's the same as the username for all my video games:

Devil N

It was something that Luna and I came up with when we were trying to make a cool in-game name. All we did was take my last name: Devlin and switched it up a little. Cool, eh?

Furthermore, since I'm stuck here right now. With this name, Luna will definitely be able to find me. 

I'm counting on you, Luna!

Handing in the form, the girl then pulled out a crystal ball and asked me to inject my mana into it. 

"Just for identification purposes," She said. "Just put your hand on the ball and put a little magic into it."

Uhhh... how do you put 'a little magic' into it?

Giving the ball an unsure look, I put my hand into it anyways. 

Nothing happens.

"U-uh, you have to i-inject your mana."

How???!!!!

Unsure, I decided to close my eyes and just imagine it. Using all my anime knowledge, I imagined mana as a stream within my body. Flowing and moving. From that river, I imagined it scaping out of my palm and into the crystal ball. Steady and strong. 

C-CRACK!

Surprised by the noise, my eyes flashed open to see a cracked ball. 

Uhhh... I think I overdid it?

The girl stared wide-eyed at the ball while I just chuckled nervously. 

"It's not my fault... ?" I attempted.

"U-uh, g-give me a s-second!" The girl squeaked before she ran off somewhere. 

She's not making me pay for it, right? 

Looking at the ball, its quality seemed high. IT was smooth and crystal clear. Added to the fact that it was something related to magic, it couldn't be cheap.

Should I run?

Looking at the distance from the door to where I'm standing, it shouldn't be that far. I can make a break for it and run. After all, I'm broke to the extreme and couldn't pay compensation for that seemingly expensive ball. 

Turning on my heel, I was about to make a run for it when-

"Sir?" A new voice interject.

Too late. 

Turning stiffly around, I gave a stiff sile. "Y-yes?"

There was a man next to the girl. They came back together with the girl nervously fidgeting in the back. 

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Is it okay to ask you to come back three days later? We'll have your identification card finished by then and a new testing stone for you." 

"...Sure." I'm not being charged?

"Thank you, sir."

And that's how I walked out of that store completely confused. I continued to dazedly walk around the streets, not noticing a thing around me. A small figure ran passed me before suddenly throwing a  black object at me. Surprised, I caught it out of reflex. I held the object up to see it was a black bag.

"You thief! You have an accomplice too! Watch me catch you and bake you alive!!" A voice yelled behind me. Looking back, I saw a huge man speeding towards me with a hostile look on his face.

"S-sir, you got the wrong person!" I hurriedly yelled, my instinct yelling at me to run.

"Don't even try to lie your way out! Friking thieves!!!"

Turning on my heel, I made a bolt for it, crying mental tears as I go. I ran after the small running figure in front of me, hoping to clear up the misunderstanding. "Sir!! I'm really not a thief!!"

"Then why don't you give it back?! Huh?!"

Remembering the black thing in my hand, I tossed it back to the man before running again for my life. Shocked, the man skidded to a stop before catching the flying out a surprise. Suspicious, he began to pry the bag open, to reveal its content

Inside, there was... absolutely nothing.

"You liars!! I'll catch you and burn you alive!!"

It's not meeee!!!