The Life of Ember Garcia

<Outfit above is what she's wearing in this chapter>

Ember's POV

Dream- I'm being chased by some boys from my school. I ran as fast as I could away from them. I turned into an alleyway. But it was a dead end. There was a manhole that lead down to the sewers, but below was water and I couldn't swim. I heard laughter behind me. Two pairs of hands grabbed my arms and pushed me to my knees. One of the boys came towards me with scissors in his hands. "Hold her tight boys. Time to give that ugly hair of yours, a haircut Garcia."

Just as he grabbed a piece of my hair, I saw bottles and cans flew past me and hit the three boys. "Leave her alone you big bullies!" Said a voice from behind me. I looked and saw a small figure in the shadows grabbing trash and throwing it at the boys. The boys ran away screaming and crying for their mommies like little babies.

I got up and turned to the boy who saved me. "Thank you. Why did you save me? Doesn't my hair freak you out? Aren't I ugly to you?" He was silent for a bit, then he spoke up. "1) I saved you because my dad told me to always treat a girl with respect, 2) I think your hair is cool looking. Because red is my favorite color, and 3) I don't think you're ugly, I think you're cute. But you would think I'm ugly." I was confused. Why would he say that? 

"Come into the light and let me be the judge of that." He was hesitant, but he slowly came into the light and what I saw was strange. He was a little boy, but he was a walking talking, three fingered turtle, wearing a red vest, boots, and had a zebra print bandana on his head. He looked down with a frown and said, "Pretty freaky huh?" I walked up to him and took his hand. He looked at me with a shocked look. I smiled and said, "I've seen freakier things. You, however, are cool looking." He had a hint of blush on his cheeks. He smiled back at me. I giggled and introduced myself. "My name is Ember. What's your name?" I asked. He slowly opened his mouth, "My name is-"

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

I shot up from my bed, but I didn't realize I was sleeping near the edge, and I feel off and hit the floor thanks to my alarm clock. "Ay Dios. Another dream about that Tortuga chico. Ugh, what was his name?" Why can't I remember anything else? I have been having the same dream about that turtle boy for years now. I would always go back to where we meet when I was still little, but my dad said that I was too young to wander the streets in the city alone. I never saw him again. Not once whenever I go into the city. Ever.

I got up from the floor and started to get ready for school. I grabbed my clothes and headed for the bathroom to take a shower. After I finished getting ready, I grabbed my school bag and books, and headed to the kitchen.

I came into the kitchen and saw my little brothers eating cereal, my mom already for her work at the elementary school she works with (she's a kindergarten teacher). She was making our lunches. I saw my dad in his police uniform, reading the paper in one hand with a cup of coffee in the other. I greeted everybody a 'good morning' in Spanish. They replied in Spanish too and resumed what they were doing.

After I ate two pieces of toast with raspberry jam, a piece of bacon, and a small glass of milk, I heard the bus to school honk outside. "There's the bus. Vamanos ninos, you don't want to miss the bus to school." Mom said as she finished making our lunches. She handed each of us our lunches, kisses our cheeks and wishes us a good day at school. Once my brothers and I are on the bus almost all eyes are on me. I hate being the center of attention, all because of my red hair.

"Hey, if it ain't Elmo and her bratty little brothers." All the jocks and cheerleaders laugh at me. My brothers wanted to speak up for me but I told them to don't bother, it will only make things worse. We just ignore them and sat in two different empty seats in the front of the bus. The bus dropped my brothers and other middle schoolers who were on the bus off first at the middle school. They said goodbye to me and headed for school.

Ten minutes later the bus came up to my high school; Theodore Roosevelt high. Home of the Knights. I hate my school. I wish I didn't go here. I wish I had a friend here. I wish I could find that turtle boy and be with him. He was the first to not make fun of my hair. The first to accept me for who I am. I wish I could see him again.

But sometimes I wonder if he was even real. I was only seven and I only saw him that one time. But those boys who picked on me that day saw him too, although he was hiding in the shadows, so maybe they didn't see him like I did.

Third person's POV

As Ember gets off the bus and heads towards her school, all she could think about was that turtle boy she met when she was seven. She wishes she could find him, but she wouldn't even know where to start looking for him. She always sees the turtle boy's beautiful amber colored eyes whenever she closes her own. She hopes that someday soon she'll see her hero again.

Little Raph