Chapter 23: Kyle

"Nice place..where's your dad?" He asked, walking past Karie as he closed the door.

"Why does it matter? I didn't ask you here to talk about my fucking dad."

"Then why did you?"

The question went unanswered and Karie kept walking up the stairs, only slowing as he noticed Kyle was still standing awkwardly at the door.

His head was dropped and his hands were stuffed in his jean pockets. The thought of going up to DaKarie's bedroom had him freaking out and he couldn't bring himself to look the man in the eyes.

Not because of his busted up face but the intense stare he could feel from a mile away.

He jumped a little when he felt DaKarie's hand grip his wrist, sighing as he lead them up to his room.

His walls were lined with Lakers jerseys, shoe collection on display. A big Kobe poster framed over the center of his bed.

"Damn. How long did this take?" He tried not to stare when the guys eyes lit up.

"My dad saved up for all of them. Kinda became a tradition every birthday, I'd get a jersey. But once I got a job I kinda took over, I get him the presants now."

"So sweet."

"Shut the fuck up." Karie tsked, smiling a little.

"..He and some friends helped me paint the room and stuff." He glanced above his desk out to the covered window across from his.

DaKarie shook his head, storming to his dresser. His eyes were red like he'd been crying. Kyles first thought was he'd done something.

Maybe it was what happened with the fight or the arguments leading up to it? The guy didn't seem that sensitive though so it was doubtful.

"DaKarie."

"What?" He mumbled. Kyle stared, hands folded in front of him.

"You said you wanted to talk."

"I dont know man, its just..you know my mom left? When I was a kid a-, I know that doesnt mean shit to you but-.."

"Because mines dead?" He finished for him. DaKarie stared back silently, thinking for a moment. He shook his head.

"Forget it."

"Karie." They stared at one another for a moment before he looked away, shoulders slumping.

"..he's with her right now. She..comes out of fucking no where and...wants to come back its-..its bullshit."

Kyle cringed at the reluctant tears building up in the guys eyes.

It didn't matter whether his situation was better or worse. Pain was pain. And DaKarie was consumed in it. He hid it beneath his anger and arrogance. Kyle behind his walls of armor. But it dwelled there constantly, eating at them, infecting their minds, deluding away the parts that were left.

Kyle thought back to that day in Jaime's room, how DaKarie was there for him. No words could help him. No words ever had. That was something the guy understood thuroughly.

"Ky-" He started, preparing to refuse. He decided not to bother it seemed, standing idly, slumped away in Kyles embrace. He held him tight, no matter how hard it was for the both of them. DaKarie needed it just like he had. They needed it.

It was about an hour later and all the guys had done was smoke weed, eat, and smoke some more. They didn't talk much, mostly just watched The Irishman, making a few comments from time to time.

It wasn't awkward or tense silence, it was more of a peaceful sort of detachment. An understanding that didn't need to be addressed.

He felt a nudge at his side and reached his hand out, taking the joint and inhaling slowly. Based off the eyes he felt on him, that no addressing policy had come to a close.

"You know I..we seem real different. You never talk, I cant shut the fuck up, hah. You..your better at handling shit than I am. But um.." Karie trailed, scratching at the hair on his chin, actively avoiding his gaze.

"Before my mom left, she uh..OD'd, in the kitchen. I was off at school and my dad was at work. I got home and she was just..there you know. On the ground and..I just remember thinking shes gone, you know. That's it. I didn't cry or nothing, I just stood there staring. Just felt like nothing was there anymore."

Karie took the joint as he rambled, Kyle listening intently, the all too familiar feeling of grief welling inside of him.

"She wasn't though, obviously. Had to call 911, they told me what I had to do and.."

"You did what I couldn't." Kyle noted. Karie had regret in his eyes but nodded anyway. It was true after all.

"I guess. My father took me to visit her in the hospital. That was the last I saw her. She knew what she put me through I guess cause she fucking..vanished. No word, no goodbye just...and that. That's when the anger started." Karie shook his head, grimacing. " It never left."

"..mine was a drunk driver. We needed eggs, heh. Went to the store to get eggs. And then it happened and they were on the ground. I couldn't make out their faces, I couldn't stop the blood, there was so much I didnt know where it even started."

His hands shook, tears falling suddenly at the memory. His voice never shook yet he weeped. "I tried. It wasn't enough."

They sat in slience, focusing back on the movie. The man was clearly in pain. Kyle wanted to help. But he couldn't help himself. He was the last person to be giving advise. If he knew the right thing to do he wouldn't be the way he was.

"Never told no one about my ma. Bout the OD."

"Could say the same to you."

"What, your homie don't know about it?"

"Didn't wanna burden him with the details." Karie stared, gazing into his eyes deeply, his questioning obvious. "Was it a burden for you?"

"Nah. It sounds fucked up but it feels less lonely now. Or something I.." He shrugged, scratching at his chin again. He took another puff as Kyle watched.

"Yeah. It helped."

Karie stared at his hand resting lazily on his knee. They refused to look up when his fingers reached for Kyle's, grazing over the bruised knuckles.

He felt quietly over rough skin, trailing under the sleeve of Kyle's hoodie and up again.

Their fingers locked and they sat there quietly, another unspoken understanding, embracing the feeling of no longer being alone.

Kyle enjoyed it. He needed it and that scared the shit out of him because he'd never needed that from someone like he did from Karie in that moment.

Kyle needed to be held. And to hold someone. Kyle needed it to be him.

"Man, I can't.." Karie mumbled, arms barely holding back his advances. Kyle's lips were inches away, he could shake with nerves. What was he doing?

"I cant do this again." He would say as he leaned closer. Their lips brushed. Kyle lit up with foreign emotions. Karie's eyes slid closed as they kissed.