Chapter Three

"Oh I am so sorry, I was just leaving." Rose sniffled as she hurriedly raised to her feet and her cheeks turned a deep embarrassed crimson colour.

"Oh no, you are fine, I am so sorry - I did not mean to scare you! Are you ok?" The man asked as she swiped at her tears with the back of her pale hands.

"Y-yes." She murmured, feeling incredibly embarrassed.

"Ok, well I am Rommich, but everyone calls me Romi. May I ask your name zahra?" He asked kindly, keeping a safe distance from Rose.

"I am Ro... Rose. My name is Rose." She replied as she clasped her hands awkwardly in front of her.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful gal. Would you like a tissue?" He asked with a benevolent smile showing straight white teeth.

"Erm... I am fine, thank you though." She replied, stopping him from reaching into his aged trousers to retrieve a crumpled tissue.

"Of course. May I ask what is wrong Miss Rose? Can I help you in any way?" He asked with what looked like real concern in his dark cinnamon eyes.

"It is nothing, I am perfectly fine." She replied defensively, eyeing him warily.

He was a head and shoulders taller then her, with thick midnight-black curls and eyes that were dark brown, framed by graceful brows. His skin was dark and leathery, probably after long days spent under the sun. He had prominent cheekbones and a well-defined chin and nose. His clothes were old and worn, and muscles rippled across every part of his body, but Rose tried not to notice that. Rosilabeth did not make it a habit to talk to the help, but there was something about him that allured her - perhaps his kind eyes and respectful manner. She did not feel vulnerable around him.

"Ok miss. Can I get you anything? Walk you back to the palace maybe?" He asked sincerely.

"I think I shall be alright. Thank you though; I am sorry for the intrusion." She smiled apologetically.

"Do not worry zahra; you have not caused any trouble. You are welcome to stay here as long as you like, but I best be off now. The horses will not look after themselves." He chuckled, and his dark eyes seemed to dance with kindness, matching his polite smile.

"Thank you." Rose replied, feeling bizarrely lighter after their conversation.

"If you ever need an escape then you're always welcome here Miss Rose." He offered with one last soul-brightening smile before heading back out of the airy stable.

"Thank you." She whispered, but he had already gone.

Rose had never met someone who seemed so genuine, and took no notice of her crown. She felt drawn to his kindness, and realised what she really wanted - to be treated normally. He was the only person to actually respect her wishes and call her Rose. Silently she turned and exited back into the scorching sunshine with not even a wisp of a breeze to cool her. Romi stayed on her mind as she pondered over what had just happened and slowly trudged back to the castle. She was certain that that would not be the last time she saw the strange 'Romi' character, who had eyes that felt like they peered into her soul.

***

The next day Rose awoke early, before even the sun had fully risen. She had a habit of sleeping in late, but she knew she could not roll over and relax any more, as she had had a rather perplexing dream. It was whom it was about that unnerved her... Romi the stable hand, or more specifically his eyes, which were so deep in colour they were almost black. It disturbed Rose that he had had an affect on her, although she was sure it was purely innocent. He was just unlike anyone she had ever known.