Chapter Nine

Rose's eyelashes fluttered as she woke up with a groan. Something soft and wet was irritating her nose, and an odd pain was causing discomfort in her lower back. Birds were chirping loudly and she squinted as a stream of pure sunlight pierced into her eyes. She stretched with a lazy yawn, a frown overtaking her features as her fingers brushed against cold stone and what felt like coarse hay. When she gradually realised she was tucked into someone's warm, gently rising chest her eyes sprung open and she hastily jumped up with her heartbeat thumping in her ears.

"Oh my!" She gasped, suddenly wide-awake and a little dizzy.

She had fallen asleep in the stables in Romi's arms! What she felt on her face was no other then Alsukar nuzzling into her, probably asking for breakfast!

"What? What is going on?" Romi gasped as he jerked awake from his peaceful sleep.

Rose stretched out her stiff muscles and stifled a yawn as the pieces of the puzzle came together in Romi's eyes. She was incredibly embarrassed about the situation and her cheeks were a vibrant red. She had straw in her hair and clothes, but she could not find the will to worry about her appearance when she remembered what she had revealed to Romi last night.

"Oh I am so sorry Rose... You fell asleep after erm... You know... crying and I did not want to wake you too soon, but then I must have fallen asleep myself!" Romi exclaimed as he rose a little stiffly because of his cramped muscles.

"It is fine Romi... It is my fault... I am so sorry... you must think terribly of me." Rose sniffed as she wrapped her arms around herself and looked down to the hay-ridden floor, fearful of the judgemental look she was sure decorated his features.

Romi sighed heavy heartedly as Rose hung her head in shame.

"I care for you Rose and I am not going to judge you for your past." Romi promised in a soft voice as he stepped forward and squeezed her hand comfortingly.

"Really?" She asked with tears brimming in her eyes.

"I promise you."

"Thank you." Rose gushed before surprising them both and flying into his arms.

He quickly hugged her back after getting over his shock, resting his head upon hers.

Rose was very grateful for him. She had someone to share her burden with who was not going to judge her, and as he knew something so personal about her, she automatically felt closer to him. Although she was not ready to admit it yet, she certainly had a soft spot for him in her heart.

As they pulled back from their tight hug Rose turned a deep scarlet colour, as to anyone else it looked as though they had been up to no good and had a romp in the hay.

"Well I expect they are looking for you in the palace Rose, and I should report in for work. I shall see you later." Romi murmured as he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Of course... Hopefully I will be able to sneak in without anyone noticing." Rose sighed.

"I am sorry again for falling asleep. I hope you do not get into trouble." Romi winced.

Just at that moment Alsukar neighed and stomped her feet, obviously tired of waiting for her breakfast.

"It is equally - if not more so my fault, so please do not stress. Well I really must go now... bye Romi." She waved now feeling a little awkward, as they were both shy around one another and their feelings.

Rose looked back once more to see him straightening down his fathers suit, before sneaking out of the side door in Alsukar's stable. She hurried back to the castle with her head down, thankfully only passing a few maids and guards who gave her odd looks. Once she was confined in the safety of her bedroom, she freshened up by washing herself, changing her dress and combing through her wild hair the colour of buttermilk, removing all traces of the hay.