Chapter Five

Rose wondered what on earth Aurora was thinking. It was dark and gloomy outside, and yet her oddly energetic sister had already pulled her out of bed. Rose stumbled after Aurora who had her mouth on full speed, whilst wishing she were still sleeping soundly in bed. They were going to watch the sunrise from Emerald Mountain after climbing up it on horse back. Rose already felt fatigued and the journey had not even begun yet, but Aurora looked so excited she practically had a bounce in her step, so Rose did not want to bring her joyful mood down by complaining about her desire to be wrapped up in her bed. Her warm, soft bed with the finest silk sheets that made you feel like you were melting into heaven.

Theodosius was looking after the children that morning, as Aurora amazingly did not believe in wet nurses or nannies. She wanted to raise her children herself, apart from when it was necessary as she had Royal engagements. Aurora was very lucky to be wed to such a loving and passionate man, who looked at her as if she were the sun and moon of his life.

It was as black as soot outside, the world silent as it ended the night. The sun was still resolutely below the horizon, and torches glowing orange like pathways to safety directed them through the eeriness. Both girls were wearing unfortunately heavy dresses, but it was the only way they could ride astride comfortably and modestly with their full skirts covering them. The frocks were a plain white and looked a little like nightdresses, but they were wearing them for the practicality. Rose chuckled a little to herself as she remembered that at one point in time she would never have been seen without an embellished dress.

A quiet maid led them to the awakening outside world, as a bird chirped softly and a gentle breeze swept through the courtyard. Rose stumbled a little and was knocked from her sleep-deprived state as she noticed Romi and another man stood with three beautiful horses, obviously waiting for them. There were also two guards there, as obviously the Royals needed a security detail with them at all times. Romi had a sweet smile on his face, and waved excitedly as the fine ladies approached him.

"Hello Rose!" He exclaimed cheerfully, causing her to blush and wave shyly.

"Hello Romi," she murmured with a red blush climbing onto her cheeks and darted her eyes away from his. "I mean Rommich." She corrected herself as she cleared her throat with an embarrassed glance at her interested sister.

"Hello! I am Queen Aurora." She exclaimed happily as Romi and the other man bowed to them both.

"Good early morning your highnesses! I am Rommich and I shall be leading you on your tour up to the Peak of Emerald Mountain, so that we can watch the spectacular sunrise. We better hurry if we want to get there in time." He revealed before introducing the horses.

"This is Solomon whom I shall be riding." He explained as he gestured towards a magnificent horse with bulging muscles and a shiny black coat. "And this is Posy who is the perfect size for Queen Aurora, and Alsukar whom Rose has already met." Romi finished with a smile.

Rose's eyes widened, shocked that he had hinted they had previously spent time together. Aurora nudged her with an interested expression and curious smile as Romi turned to tend to the horses. "Rose, eh?" She commented making Rose shush her.

"Moose here will help you gear up your Highness Queen Aurora, whilst I help Princess Rose." Romi smiled, and Rose felt on edge as she edged closer to his beckoning hands.

She could not quite look into his eyes, and she stood stiffly besides him not wanting her sister to get the wrong idea and wonder whether they were friends.

They were acquaintances at best.

"So zahra I shall help you onto Alsukar. Here are some sugar lumps you can feed to her so that she will be more inclined to listen to you." Romi suggested as he held his hand out, ignoring Rose's unsmiling and distant demeanour.