Chapter Fifteen

Although Rose wanted a bath, food and rest, she allowed Josiah to lead her to his playroom. It was spectacular and every child's dream, filled with the finest toys carved by master artisans and the most new and exciting inventions designed to delight. A large fur rug covered the stone floor, and huge diamond shaped windows lined the back wall allowing in a flood of light. Josiah's nanny followed behind them with little Kinnette who was most displeased at being separated from her mother.

"Auntie Rosilibef look!" Josiah exclaimed as he tugged her forward to his specially tailored full body armour equipped with a wooden sword and helmet.

He would soon be starting lessons on how to be a knight with the Head of the Royal Guard, as it was expected for the Crown Prince to be a handsome, successful soldier bringing honour to his homeland. Rose's heart tightened as she realised within a blink of an eye he would no longer be a child but a young man, and then King of Aubriemia.

"Wow that is certainly impressive Josiah." Rose hummed with a small smile as he unsheathed his sword and started swinging it around menacingly.

"I am going to be the best knight ever! Mummy told me so." He exclaimed confidently as he swung the sword around grunting with effort and nearly hit Rose.

"Be careful with that Josiah you do not want to hurt yourself," Rose warned him, "and your mummy is right. With lots of practice and hard work you will be just as good as your father and uncles."

"Thank you Auntie Rosilibef. You are my favourite auntie!" He declared with a wide gap-toothed smile and then dropped his sword, which landed with a dull thud.

Rose's heart warmed with bittersweet love. She may not have been able to be his mother, but at least she had the title of favourite auntie.

"And you are my favourite nephew, but do not tell any of your cousins I said that!" Rose exclaimed with a teasing smile.

"Ok!" Josiah exclaimed happily with a chubby baby grin, but did not seem too bothered by the remark, as he was quick to grab Rose's hand and pull her down to his toy knights placed neatly away in a box.

Within moments they were scattered all over the room and an epic game of 'goodies and baddies' (there was an unspoken agreement that Rose took on the role of the bad people) commenced. Rose did not know how one little being could have so much energy, as Josiah jumped, screamed and hid all around the room making Rose dizzy, although that was probably more to do with the lack of food and sleep in her system. Still she put her personal needs aside and spent a few wondrous minutes with her darling Josiah, who took her by surprise and jumped in her arms when there came a knock at the door.

"Nooo!" He whined. "I do not want to go to lessons Auntie! I want to play with you." He pouted with those huge innocent eyes, looking so adorable that Rose wanted to squeeze him tight and never let go.

"Aw, well I will come and play with you again soon." Rose suggested as he sighed and laid his head on her shoulder.

"Promise?" Josiah asked, staring up at Rose with huge emerald eyes that sparkled next to his dark complexion, and looking so much like his father, it hurt her heart.

"I promise." Rose agreed, swallowing a lump in her throat.

"Oh come in!" Rose called out, as there was another more impatient knock at the door.

It turned out it was Josiah's tutor, a plump woman named Mrs Cece with a kind smile and small glasses perched on the end of her nose.

"Please excuse the intrusion your Highness, I have come to collect Prince Josiah for his afternoon lessons." She explained after she dipped into a respectful curtsey.