Chapter Eighteen

Rose screamed and thrashed around as the two giant male guards struggled to keep a hold of her lithe body. She could not comprehend what Korian had decreed. He wanted to take away Romi's life. The world would mourn the loss of such a beautiful soul.

Romi struggled valiantly but could not free himself. Any moment now he would take his last breath as a sword plunged through his prefect dark skin taking away his life force.

Then suddenly there was a commotion outside and the doors burst open as the Aubriemian Royal guard marched in, much to Algernon and Korian's shock and horror.

"Surrender and let them go!" Captain Yohana ordered, and Rose said a silent prayer of thanks that they had come in time.

Korian's men gulped and shifted on their feet, as they were clearly outnumbered, but did not let go of Rose and Romi.

"No! Come any closer and we will kill them both." Korian screeched as he rose to his feet totteringly with an angry red face.

"Surrender and this will not become any worse. Your sister is on her way and will declare what we shall do with you. I would not be surprised if you are all charged with a public execution." The general announced with a smug smile.

Rose felt the men holding onto her in a death grip shift uneasily and relax their hold a little. The four men surrounding Romi nervously eyed each other and the twenty new guards that had burst into the room, wondering whether to surrender or fight.

A quick turn to Algernon showed he had pasty, clammy skin and eyes spitting anger. Would they give in?

"We will never surrender! We have an army coming! Korian is the true King!" He shouted with gnashing teeth.

Rose's eyes locked with Romi who gave her an encouraging smile, although the sword still dug limply into his back killed the victorious mood.

"No he is not. I am the reigning monarch, and will be until the day that I die." Nijah suddenly announced in a voice that demanded attention as she pushed through the guards and came to the front, Henri just behind her. She looked spectacular in full armour and as if she had just descended from the heavens like a vengeful angel. Her long black hair was tightly pinned back showing off her flawless brown skin and defined bone structure. She was truly beautiful.

Her eyes widened and lips pursed in anger as she took in her injured and dead guards on the floor. Their families would be taken care of, but nothing could replace or make up for a life.

"Nijah? My sister..." Korian murmured suddenly looking ashamed and regretful as he leant heavily on his sword dug into the carpet.

"Yes Korian it is me. Stop this foolishness. You look sick. Give up now and I promise you... I will look after you. You will be treated and kept in nicer conditions." Nijah promised with heartfelt compassion.

Korian would always be her little brother, no matter how far from the path of righteousness he strayed.

Rose noticed one of the Aubriemian guards sneaking around the back of her from the corner of her eye. She did not move or make a sound though, as at the moment he was passing by undetected as everyone was too focused on Algernon and Korian.

"No Korian do not listen to her! She locked you up remember! She is a liar, she will kill you!" Algernon screeched as he finally let go of Romi and hurried over to his puppet.

Korian's expression hardened.

"You are trying to trick me! I know all about the evil things you have done, stealing my son," Rose tensed hoping no one would question his words, "changing the way our ancestors ran the country and allowing women to have dominant power!" Korian spat as Nijah shook her head pitifully.