thirty-six

+

'uh- hi mom?'

'so you finally decide im your mother?' she spat, her glaring
eyes sending a million daggers towards bella.

'w-what do you mean?'

'you've been away for two weeks, bella. how do you think i felt?' the women fumed, practically shaking with anger.

'i called you but-'

'you know not to call me!' maria said a little too loudly, causing everyone's eyes to flicker towards them. two pairs of eyes belonging to luke and liz.

bella's hands shook as she looked towards her angry mother.

'mom can't we just talk lat-'

'no!' her eyes narrowed 'we are going to settle this right now, do you hear me?'

bella gulped nodding, her lungs becoming tight due to maria's (quite hostile) attitude.

luke stood dumbfounded looking at the pair. what could he do?

not much really. in fact, he was a little scared of bella's mother.

'why did you leave me like that' maria's voice seemed to calm down.

'i didn't leave yo-'

'yes you did.' she was cut off.

'and you left me, your own mother, for him.' she nodded towards luke.

'he understands.' she mumbled, not wanting to get into the conversation while he was standing a few feet away.

'no he doesn't, bella.' her mother murmured.

'im not getting into this.'

bella turned on her heel, walking past the small line of people and out the door, a small jingle following behind her.

she stood in the cold, furious with her mother.

why couldn't she just turn eighteen already? then she could move away and not have to worry about how crazy her mother actually is.

another jingle rang and footsteps came from behind her.

'bella listen to me. he doesn't love you. don't get caught up in all these games, bell, you know how guys are. they come and they go, that's just how it-'

'don't do this to me'

'but-'

'no. let me finish.' she shushed her mother.

'he helps me and makes me happy, why can't you see that? whenever something finally goes right you always have to turn it into something bad. do you want me to be sad? is that what your
doing? mom, i love you but you need to see im older now. i can do things on my own.'

she bit on the inside of her cheek to stop her from saying anymore.

'you don't get it, do you?' her mother chuckled.

'i guess not'

'you need to end it, honey. it's for your own good.'

the pink tint on her face paled instantly.

'what?' she managed to croak out.

'you are going to have to. im making you, sweetie.'