Empire

Title: Empire (Uncertain)

Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance, Action, Suspense

Summary: Annie Rockefeller has inherited her father's, John D. Rockefeller, sky rocketing oil business at the simple age of seventeen. However, her father's competitor, Cornelius Vanderbilt, has just passed his powerful railroad empire down to his successful nephew, Newton (Newt) Vanderbilt, who seems to be unable to stay away from fiesty lil' Annie.

Piece:

I raised an intrigued eyebrow at Newt, hands clasping a china teacup and saucer in front of me while a smirk teased my lips. Sweat was beading off his brow as he struggled to maintain his poker face. He pulled his handkerchief from his sleeve, dabbing his temples and forehead with it vigorously.

             “What’s that matter, Newt? Getting nervous are we?” I taunted, watching the mountainside explode in the distance.

            “Of course not, love,” he returned, although his voice faltering when he flinched within the next explosion.

            “I’m glad,” I smirked, putting the teacup to my lips and tentatively sipping the sweetened beverage. I turned my attention in the opposite direction and watched the oil drills bob up and down behind the hills, the corners of my lips twitching in an upward direction.

            “You know, my daddy used to look up to your uncle,” I said, not allowing my gaze to shift from the oil drills.

            “Used to?” Newt questioned and I saw him turn to me out of the corner of my eye.

            “Oh yeah,” I confirmed, concentrating on the beautiful spurts of oil that shot from the earth. “Until your uncle’s train nearly killed him. If my daddy hadn’t missed the train going to visit Mr. Vanderbilt, he woulda been dead at the bottom of some ravine.”

            “Then why did your daddy agree to the deal?” Newt asked almost defensively.

            “Because, his life was saved for the reason off creating a better empire,” I answered. “And he saw that path through a deal your good old uncle offered,” I smiled, turning to look at him now. He stared back at me, carefully studying my face.

            “So, my uncle is responsible for your wealth.”

            “Please,” I laughed. “Your uncle just supplied the walkway. My daddy built and entered the doorway.” I took another gentle sip of my tea before taking a step closer to Newt. “My daddy was no refiner. He was a business man. And a successful one at that,” I grinned.