Nightshade (Posted)

Title: Nightshade

Genre: Werewolf, Vampire, Romance, Paranormal, Mystery, Teen Fiction, Humor

Description: 

Ashlyn Grey is a werewolf who isn't exactly house trained. More wolf than human, she can't control her primal instincts and that is exactly why she is being sent to Nightshade Academy, a boarding school for those who can't coincide with humans, yet. There, she'll come face to face with others of her kind, not her kind, and farthest possible from her kind. And among the monsters that go bump in the night, she'll meet her soul mate who, put mildly, is allergic to dogs.

Piece:

            “My life is officially over,” I muttered as I stared out the car window through my aviator shades, watching the trees fly by in a blur of autumn oranges and reds.

             “You did this to yourself, Ashlyn,” my Dad growled from the driver’s seat. I rolled my eyes as I ground my teeth together in a successful attempt to bite back the snarky remark that simmered at the back of my throat.

              “It was Sarah’s fault. She shouldn’t have pissed me off,” I murmured instead, still glaring out the window instead of at my dad. I didn’t have to look to know that Dad’s jaw was clenched tightly in irritation.

              “You don’t seem to understand how badly you screwed up. Not only have you embarrassed yourself, but you’ve also embarrassed me,” he snapped angrily. “It doesn’t look good when the Beta has a daughter who can’t control her anger.”

              “Sarah freaking tripped me! I saw her stick that fat leg of hers out.” I felt my fists tighten as I remembered the end of last year’s affair. Sarah Courtland tripped me in the cafeteria at school and made me fall face first into my lunch. After years of her abuse, I couldn’t take it anymore and I lost control of my wolf when she forced herself through my skin. It wasn’t necessarily my fault that Sarah ended up in the emergency room.

              “That doesn’t matter, Ash!” Dad hissed, his knuckles turning white from gripping the steering wheel so tightly. “I had to make up lies to get you out of it. You’re just so effing lucky that not many people saw you shift or else the entire pack would be in jeopardy.”

              “I still don’t see why you’re sending me off to some stupid boarding school in the middle of nowhere,” I grunted.

              “Nightshade Academy happens to be the best place for teens who don’t know how to control themselves,” he scorned. “And if you lose it, which I won’t be surprised if you do; no humans will be around to call reporters.” He added with venom laced in his words. I growled at his hostility towards the situation. It wasn’t that big a deal.

              “Whatever,” I snarled; adjusting myself in my seat so that I comfortable faced the window while placing my back towards Dad. 

             “Hope you’re not getting comfortable over there because we’re here,” he claimed and when I turned to howl a remark at him I took notice to the towering iron gates before us, sharp spikes standing guard and threatening any possible intruders. The car pushed through the rusted black gates and drove up a gravel driveway that wound even further into the thickening forest. As we rounded the corner, I watched with wide eyes as a large brick building slowly began appearing on the top of the hill. Large white columns supported the front of the structure, holding up the black shingled roof. The ebony trim gave the entire building a haunting look, crimson red curtains peering out from the slightly dusty windows.