37

Niya Pov

Stepping off the plane I took a deep breath as memories of my old life quickly began to fill my head.

No matter what happened in the hood Malibu will never be home for me. I was prepared for the girls coming with me because we could have just did regular rich white girl shit.

But I was not prepared for Devonte and Mekhi coming too. I'm not mad that they're here it's just I don't want them to see Malibu the way I see it.

"You good?" Devonte asked as he came and stood next to me

"Yeah. I'm good" I smiled grabbing his hand as we walked out the airport where my mom and Ashley should be waiting for us.

When we got out the airport it was hella people out front as usual. I couldn't see my mom or Ashley but it was like I could hear 1,000 feet running towards me at once.

Out of nowhere I was literally tackled to the ground making Devonte drop my hand. For a second I had hope that it was my mom and for once in her life she was finally acting like she gave a damn about me.

But of course, it was my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

"OH MY GOSH MY BABY" Ashley said as she rolled us around on the ground hugging me making a big ass scene

"Cmon Ash you gone fuck up my outfit" I said making her stop

"Ok ok" she said finally taking a moment to catch her breath

"Shit I need to work out more" she said dramatically spreading across the concrete

"Getcho fat ass up" we heard from behind us

I turned around and of course Mekhi big goofy ass was standing right there.

I stood up and looked around for my mom before I finally saw her standing there in her Louis Vuitton pan suit and black red bottoms. So extra. She cut her long curly hair and now had short finger waves. She looks good. Devonte nudged my arm making me slowly. But surely walk her way.

She took her shades off her face and for the first time in a long time I saw tears in her eyes. She didn't even say anything she just pulled me into the tightest hug.

I haven't hugged my mother since she thought I was dead in a hospital bed.

"I'm so glad your okay" she said as we stood there

I pulled away from the hug and smiled at her.

"You look good ma" I said honestly

"You too. You've gained weight since you been in North Carolina" she said

"I haven't seen you in six months and the first time I do see you, first thing you do is call me fat" I said making us both laugh

"I've missed you bunny" she said calling me my childhood nickname

"I've missed you too" I smiled

"So, which one is he?" She said talking about the Devonte

I turned around looking for him.

"He's the one over there off to the side with his hands in his pockets" I said as he stood there looking evil as hell

His demeanor changed when Mina sleepily walked up to him. He smiled and picked her up allowing her to fall back asleep. My mom looked at me with a slightly disapproving look.

"What ma?" I asked

"I'm not gonna say anything" she said holding her hands up

"He is cute tho" she said making me smile a little bit