one

Beryl was the princess of Fiopha, an isolated island off the coast of Cintra

Beryl was the princess of Fiopha, an isolated island off the coast of Cintra. It was rumored that the island was ruled by mer-folk. Rumors were mere gossip to feed the bored housewives around the continent, but that rumor told the truth. Fiopha never requested for supplies or aid in any way. They were independent. They didn't like outsiders. There were many rumors of mer-folk flesh holding the key to immortality.

Beryl's father, King Erik, cared much for his people's safety. The oceans and Fiopha were their home. They wanted to be able to swim freely and enjoy bathing in the sunlight with their tails out in the open. With outsiders lurking, that wouldn't be possible.

However, for many years, sirens and mer-folk had always been at war. Sirens, beautiful creatures at first glance, were, in fact, demons who turned into half-birds. They ruled the skies, while mer-folk ruled the waters. However, sirens had the ability to sing sailors to death for food. Seducing humans for their flesh were mer-folk's main way of feeding. Sirens seduced their singers to death, then flew to them in order to eat their flesh. The two species fought for food - for human flesh. Sirens had the upper hand. They could fly and walk, swoop down into the water, even.

The waters and the palace both couldn't be effectively defended at the same time. The king and queen defended the palace, but they fell to their knees, killed by the sirens' claws. Princess Beryl, who had been left to fight in the open waters with her people, was the only living mermaid to the royal family. The sirens swooped in, grabbing mer-folk in the water and killing them in the skies. They decapitated them, ripped them in half, and then dropped them in the water for the other mer-folk to watch as they drifted down to the bottom of the ocean. Beryl's screams and wails echoed through the oceans.

In the end, she was rushed by her people to flee and live a new lie. She was left alone.