five

"Right, so stick close to me, look mean and pretend you're a mute

"Right, so stick close to me, look mean and pretend you're a mute. Can't have anyone finding out who you actually are," Jaskier whispered to the two as they graciously entered the hall.

Beryl looked around in awe. She was distracted easily by the amount of humans in the hall and the amount of food laid out on the tables. Geralt grabbed her forearm when he noticed she stopped walking to gawk at a woman's dress.

"Never been to a party?" Geralt asked.

Beryl shook her head. "It's marvelous."

"Geralt of Rivia, the mighty Witcher!" Mousesack, an old friend of Geralt, greeted.

Nearly all of guests in the room turned to look at the them. They began murmuring amongst themselves, glancing at Geralt.

"Oh - shit," muttered Jaskier.

Mousesack approached Geralt, cheerful to catch up with his old friend. "I haven't seen you since the plague."

"Good times, Mousesack."

"I've missed your sour complexion. I feared this would be a dull affair, but now the White Wolf is here, perhaps all is not lost - " Mousasack took a good look at Geralt's outfit. "Why are you dressed like a sad silk trader?"

Geralt grimaced over at Jaskier as Mousesack swooped Geralt away from Jaskier and Beryl, leaving them to awkwardly stand in an empty space in the room. The two never had an actual conversation before.

"Where are you from?" Jaskier asked.

As Beryl opened her mouth to respond, a short and stout lord stomped up to Jaskier and placed his heavy hands on Jaskier's shoulders in an angry manner. Jaskier backed up until he hit a wall. The lord pointed a fat finger in his face.

"Something about you reminds me of a scoundrel I once saw fleeing my wife's chambers!" the lord accused.

"Um - " Jaskier looked at Beryl for help.

"Drop your trousers!" the lord demanded. "That pimply arse I'd remember anywhere!"

Beryl stepped toward the lord. "Kind sir, this simple bard is innocent. He would never step in bed with another woman when he himself is betrothed."

Her voice was kind and soft. It echoed around in the man's head. She was manipulating him.

"Apologies," the lord said before walking away.

Geralt rejoined the two after having abandoned them for his old comrade.

"Looks like Beryl saved you tonight. You didn't need me after all," said Geralt. "You're on your own from here on. Try not to get any daggers in your back before dawn." He shooed Jaskier away.

"Having fun?" asked Geralt.

Beryl nodded. "I've never encountered an angry human before. It was fascinating."

Geralt raised an eyebrow. "Humans aren't fascinating. They're dangerous. Don't reveal your true self with them."

Beryl looked up at Geralt. "Are you not human?"

"You really have no idea, do you?"

She shook her head.

"You don't know what a Witcher is?"

"Isn't that what that man called you earlier tonight?" she asked.

"Mousesack," he corrected. "To become a Witcher, one must be trained in swordsmanship and other skills. We undergo an alchemical process which triggers mutations in our bodies."

"Why would anyone want that?" she asked.

"Who knows," he stated.

Loud horns were blown, drawing everyone's attention.

"All rise for Her Majesty, the Lioness, Queen Calanthe of Cintra!"