Chapter One

27th of January, 12:07 am

RUEL'S POV

This was the last place I wanted to be. I hated being in this position, yet, I had never even thought I would be in this position, sitting in a cold police interview room that felt like it was getting smaller and smaller every time I talked. I could feel the walls closing in on me as I took my jacket off. I shiver went down my spine and my arm hairs spiked up as I felt the air conditioner blow on the back of my neck. I rolled my shoulders back as the officer who was sitting in front of me stood up from his chair.

PO: 'When did you see her last?'

R: 'I dropped her off to her house, I saw her go inside as I drove off and I haven't seen her since'

PO: 'And what time was that as?' the officer says as he leans onto the metal table, looking into my eyes

R: '10 pm! Like I've told you for the last 3 times! Jesus, do you guys take notes or anything?' I roll my eyes and lean back in my chair, making it swing back on its back legs

PO: 'Don't give us an attitude kid. We've got questions'

I run both of my hands through my hair and take a deep breath in.

R: 'Maybe instead of asking her boyfriend questions, maybe do your job and be outside, looking for her! Like every other one of us. Why am I being held the longest?'

PO: 'Because you keep avoiding questions. What happened at that party?' the demand in his voice made me jump but I sat up, confident.

R: 'For the fourth time, nothing. She was completely normal from when we went to the party to when we left. Can I go and look for my girlfriend now?' I cross my arms and take another deep breath, slowing my heartbeat down.

The officer straightens up his back, before grabbing his pen and notebook, with nothing but Ruel Van Dijk scribbled on the top of the page. I let out a big sigh as the heavy door slammed shut and I watched his shadow walk past the window that looked into the interview room. I could hear the air conditioner blow behind me as I saw two shadows talk behind the window. My heart raced as I saw the door handle bend and the door start to slowly open again. Was this a new officer? More questions? I just wanted to go look for her and make sure she was safe.

FLASHBACK- Last Night

I followed y/n through the garage door of Mia's house that led into the living room and kitchen area where 70 odd people were spread out throughout her house. I could feel the humidity when I stepped into the door, sweaty people with drinks in their hands who looked like they had been here for hours. We slipped past the boys in the kitchen who had red, party cups in their hand and walked over to the front door where Mia and Tilly were talking with drinks in their hands as well. Their faces lit up as they saw us and we walked past someone passed out on the sofa. We both embrace in a hug from each of them.

R: 'I'll go get us drinks y/n. They in the backyard M?'

Mia nods and I step behind y/n, pulling down her skirt.

R: 'I don't want that ass to be seen anywhere in this party. Right?'

I hear her chuckle as I walk out the screen door and reach into the cooler to get 2 raspberry cruisers. I turn back around, nearly bumping into a couple of girls from y/n, Mia and Tilly's year level. They look me up and down before I slip through the door and walk back to the girls.

Y/N: 'Even though they are divorced and live in different states...It feels like they are back together in the same household. I can literally hear my mum screaming upstairs when Ruel and I are downstairs watching TV. It's getting ridiculous.'