Chapter Nine

31st of January, 7:05 am

TILLY'S POV

I rolled over in my bed, my alarm playing 'Left Hand Free' from my phone. I wince my eyes open, pressing the stop button on my phone screen. I lean over to grab my white school socks, slipping them on my feet before climbing out of bed, feeling the tiles beneath my feet. I take my blue school dress from the back of my chair and throw it on top of my pyjama shorts. I slip on my white fur mat and then catch myself on my dresser, grabbing my hairbrush from on top of it. I brush my hair and pull it into a low ponytail before spraying my victoria secret body mist over my uniform. I unplug my laptop and slip it into my school bag and carry it downstairs to where my dad was making breakfast for me.

D: 'There's a note here for you' he says as he slips the letter towards me and I take a seat on the kitchen island.

T: 'It's not another note from mum, right? I'm not answering anymore of her letters. If she wants to talk to me, she can come back home' I say before taking a big swallow of my apple juice

D: 'She's got another family Till, and no, it's not. It has no return address' I roll my eyes as I take a big bite of my dad's toast.

T: 'OK, I'll open it on the bus. See ya' I shove my apple in my mouth and grab my bag from below me and grab the letter with the other hand. 'Bye Dad! Love you!' I yell as I close the front door and walk a couple of meters to where the school bus was waiting at the communal stop.

I see the bus up ahead and stick my arm out before it pulls up next to me. As I find a seat at the back, I start to open the letter.

My parents are guilty, not of my disappearance, but of far worse damage.

I never wanted things to change but here it is, everyone and everything has changed and will continue to change. Elliot and Alannah will soon break up, Mia will reveal feelings that she thinks she's been hiding for a year and you, sweet, sweet Tilly, you're going to be the one who shifts the friend group completely.

Hope you have fun at school today

Sincerely yours

y/n xo

I was pretty shaken up for the rest of the day but after reading that, I picked up on a few more things through the day. I noticed the differences. I noticed the tension, the weird looks between each other, the secret conversations. I sighed as I closed my locker and started to walk out to the oval where the group was, Elliot and Alannah sitting closer but their hands on top of each other as they leaned on them, no one could tell from where they were sitting though. Mia was sitting further away from Alannah than usual, talking with Grayson but still shooting Alannah dirty looks as she laughed with Elliot. I took a deep breath before walking up to them.

T: 'Is this what it's going to be like now?'

M: 'What are you talking about?' she winced as the sun hit her eyes

T: 'You know exactly what I'm talking about. Mia, Alannah, sort out your shit'

A: 'You can't really talk because you weren't even at the conference yesterday. Hmm? Where were you?'

T: 'I had family stuff...' I mumble.

E: 'Well we all kind of have family stuff but I guess y/n comes last'

T: 'Elliot, you're only taking Alannah's side because you two are dating'

G: 'Wait what-'

M: 'I fucking knew it'

A: 'Clearly not. You were dumb enough not to say anything'