Chapter Fifteen

6th of March, 5:34 pm

RUEL'S POV

I stand, leaning against the window sill as he lays in the bed with an oxygen mask and drips in his arm along with other needles in and out of his body.

D: 'He's in a critical condition, the crash could be fatal'

I hold back my tears as the doctor says fatal. It makes me feel like absolute shit knowing that the last thing that I told him was that I hated him and kicked him out of my house and now he could be possibly dying? What type of person does that? Yeah, I was angry but I never should've taken him or his friendship for granted.

D: 'Sorry, guys, Alannah wants to come in. Someone needs to leave'

R: 'I'll go, that's ok'

There was a limitation to how many people could be in the room at once due to his condition so as I walk out, I stop and hug Alannah who was already in tears. She pulls away and forces a smile before walking in. I walk out and see Mia sitting on the chair who immediately jumped up from the seat when she saw me.

M: 'You got here faster than me' she chuckles.

I give her a little smile before holding out my hand

R: 'You wanna talk?' she smiles and nods before taking my hand in her and we start to walk around the hospital

M: 'Let me start, ok. I was only trying to protect my best friend and honesty, I forgot it even happened until she sent... or someone sent the letter talking about a secret I had to keep in year 8...That's when I started to freak out that it might get back to you.'

R: 'Do you know why she did it?'

M: 'No but I'm so sorry for not telling you. Even as your best friend at the time, I should've told you and it just annoys me and makes me upset that she wasn't honest with you. I mean, it just doesn't make sense but it's still my fault for not telling you and I'm sorry for-' I quickly stop her, grabbing her face and pulling her lips to meet mine in the middle.

R: 'You never stop talking do you?'

M: 'I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier...about y/n... You deserve better'

R: 'You're right...I do...That's you...' she smiles before leaning up to kiss me again and I take her hand in mine as we continue to finish our lap of the hospital.

We both heard heartbroken screams come from Elliot's room as we came around the corner and saw Alannah on the floor, her eyes stained with tears. Mia immediately let go of my hand, running over to Alannah. I freeze, knowing what had happened. It felt like everything was in slow motion. He was gone and there was nothing I could do to say to him or change what my last words to him were. I watched as Mia held Alannah in her arms, tears from falling both of their eyes. I felt Grayson's hand on my shoulder before I turned around and immediately embraced in a hug.

R: 'He's gone' I mumbled into his shoulder

G: 'I know mate. I know' he says as he rubs my back, triggering more tears for me to fall out of my eyes.

TILLY POV

I arrived home from the hospital to my dad sitting at the bench, siping at his cup of coffee and reading the newspaper. I put my bag next to the dresser in the hallway before slipping my shoes off and then hearing a toilet flush.

T: 'Dad, who's here?'

I walked around the colour to see my mum appear out of the bathroom and my whole body tightens up. I hadn't seen her since she and dad had finalized their divorce, 2 years ago and she left with a whole new family.

T: 'Mum, w-what are you doing here?'

D: 'Um, your mother has some news...'

T: 'Let me guess, you got knocked up by your boyfriend'

D: 'Tilly!' I look at my dad as he holds in a laugh but shakes his head, pretending to be disappointed but making me smile.

M: 'No, um. I'm getting married'

T: 'OK, bye'

M: 'Tilly, wait. I want you to be involved in it'

T: 'Well, I don't. You can leave now' I cross my arms as my dad stays silent for his own benefit.

M: 'You always wanted to be apart of a wedding and I'm giving you the chance-' her voice starts to raise, clearly getting frustrated with me

T: 'You know what, my best friend just died and you seriously think I'm going to be jumping for joy because you're getting married to a whole different family and if you even bothered to stay around for 2 more months you would know how close and important they were to me.' I turn around, feeling the tears fill my eyes and go straight into my room.

I sat on my bed, hugging my knees as the tears finally left my body and I looked up, seeing my wall covered in all the pictures we took from last summer. I heard a knock on the door, I didn't answer it, knowing it was my mum. I saw it open through my blurred tears and saw her come to sit on my bed with a big yellow envelope in hand.

T: 'I told you, I don't want to come'

M: 'It's not for the wedding...It's from Lucy Guerin Inc'

T: 'But I got rejected from there...' I say as she hands me the envelope

M: 'I know, but your father said to hand that to you before it left. Bye Thalia' she kisses my head after saying my birth name.

No one ever called me Thalia but my mum, especially when she knew she wasn't going to see me in a while. I'm 17 but to her, I'm still her baby girl. I ripped open the envelope and my heart beat fast as I read the first line. I got in. But I knew why. A space had opened up and they had offered the spot to me...Y/n's spot. Even they had a feeling that she wasn't coming back...My dad must've known what the letter was about as he came and stood in my doorway...

D: 'I think you know what the right thing to do is...'

MIA'S POV

Arriving at the beach and seeing Alannah sitting on the sand was like a scene out of a movie. Although we disagreed at times and she wasn't the most supportive of Ruel and I, she was still my best friend. I sat down next to her, wrapping the blanket I brought around us both. She rests her head on my shoulder as we watched the waves crash in for the night.

A: 'I regret it so much... My last words to him...I practically told him that I didn't want to see him again but...I was supposed to go on a date on him that night and tell him I loved him...' I rubbed her arm as she talked about Elliot, missing him more than I could ever imagine. 'I know I don't show it sometimes but I do support you and Ruel and whatever makes you both happy, I'll be here for'

M: 'Thank you'

It felt nice having her support but it felt weird pretty much-confirming things while our friend was dying in pain. As Alannah sat there in silence, tears coming out of our eyes I thought. Sometimes, we need someone to simply be there, Not to fix anything, or to do anything in particular, but just to let us feel that we are cared for and supported and that was what Alannah and I were going to be for each other. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, reading the message from Tilly.

A: 'Who's it from?'

M: 'Tilly..'

A: 'What does it say?'

M: 'She got into Lucy Guerin Inc...She's leaving....'