~ xxxii ~

Attempting to sit up in your bed, you blinked away the tiredness in your eyes and tried to see through the dim light of the room. You'd been isolated away from the other patients, and with good reason too. The way your injuries looked disturbed at least one person in each ward, and the sickly tone of your skin from how ill you felt made you look like you were dead. Groaning something incomprehensible under your breath, you slowly reached into the fruit bowl on the table and popped two grapes into your mouth, wondering how you'd managed to get into the hospital twice in the past couple of months in such a condition. You hadn't even thought of the effects the burn would have on your body, even when healed, and you didn't exactly want to think about it. 

"Y/N, there's someone at the front desk who wants to visit you," a nurse said, wandering into the room with a clipboard in her hands. You cocked your head, wondering who'd come to visit unannounced and on their own. It wouldn't be the girls, because they'd come in a group, and it couldn't be your father; he was busy working. Your mother and sister had already visited, so they wouldn't return, and surely Sero wouldn't come alone either. Could it be...? 

"Who is it?" you asked in a gravelly voice, wincing a little when you turned your head. Not only was the burn all the way across your back, but it was also a little on your neck, so every movement was painful. "Did they give a name?"

"Not that I was told," she shrugged, and you discreetly rolled your eyes. Some people were pretty useless. "But I can say what he looks like?"

"Go ahead," you answered, really not in the mood for visitors at such a time. 

"Blonde hair, little black streak, hazel eyes?" she asked, and she noticed your eyes widen when you choked on one of the green grapes. "Erm... Y/N? Should I escort him out?"

"N-no!" you stuttered, going bright pink when you realised who it was going to be. You didn't want Kaminari to see you like this, it would be embarrassing, but deep down, he was the person you most wanted to see. "L-let him in."

"Boyfriend?" she asked with a joking grin, hoping to lighten the mood. However, your cheeks got even redder, and she smiled gently. "Ah, crush? I'll let him in."

"You could call it that..." you muttered under your breath, the nurse not hearing you. You tried to at least sit up fully so you didn't look like a dead sloth, but it was still painful to do so. Cringing, you managed to get into a somewhat comfortable position just before the blonde rushed in, a bright smile on his face that contrasted the very obvious panic in his eyes. You looked up at him and attempted to return some sort of happy expression, but it was difficult to do so. 

"Y/N, I've never been happier to see somebody!" he exclaimed, taking your hand and holding it tightly in his, sitting in the lonely seat beside the bed. He held a white plastic bag in his other hand, and he'd tried to hide it with his oversized honey-orange jumper that he'd taken off but failed. "How are you?"

"In pain," you brutally admitted, laughing sadly at the blatant truth. An expression of horror and sorrow appeared on his face, and you thought he was about to cry. "Hey! Don't cry! I'm kidding. It's not as bad as it was, let's just say that."

"Y/N, seeing you like that back at the camp made me feel utterly useless!" he exclaimed, letting his feelings take over. "I was stuck inside that stupid building while you worked your damned ass off to protect us, and now look at you. I feel so selfish and guilty for even letting you do it! So, as a treat, I got you some snacks and gifts!"

With that, he threw his jumper onto the bed and thrust the bag into your chest, some of the contents over-spilling and landing onto the floor. His eyes widened and he excitedly picked them up, and you couldn't get over his sudden switch in moods. You giggled, and you saw out of the corner of his eye look up at you and smile widely, looking at you as if you were the most precious thing on earth.