Chapter 16 Beginning of the Preliminaries

Naruto worked into his own room separate from his teammates. He took all the headbands of and piled them up on the desk next to his bed.

Naruto stripped to his boxes before he tucked himself into the bed comfortably. Didn't take long before he felt a second presence in his bed, he knew by the smell that it was Anko and just smiled.

~ The next day ~

Naruto work up alone alongside all the headbands gone. He guessed that Anko had business to attend to and took the headbands.

Naruto put on his clean clothes and glasses. He alongside pulling his hood up before he left his room to meet his teammates.

~Preliminary arena~

Naruto and his team stood alongside all the other Genin that were able to pass the forest of death.

Naruto took a quick glance over Sasuke glad to see that Kakashi was able to implant the seal before the rest of the exam started.

Sarutobi stood forth "Welcome Genin glad to see so many of you able to make it through the forest of death" He said with a small smile.

Sarutobi went ahead and explained the meaning of the exam is to help keep peace along allied villages to avoid another ninja war and to show off their own personal village alongside showing their strength.

"Excuse me Hokage" a sickly-looking leaf ninja stepped next to Sarutobi spoke "If it's alright with 'cough' you I'll start my 'cough' part now" Sarutobi gave a gentle smiled back to him "Well of course Hayate" He said before he stepped back returning to his previous spot.

"Alright Genin 'cough' I'm Hayate Gekko I apologise but 'cough' we weren't expecting so many Genin to make it through 'cough' the second part of the exam, so we must have a Preliminaries to 'cough' weed some of you out" Hayate explained with more detail about that there will be important people watching them in the finals and nobody wishes to waste their time more than they must.

Naruto understood the reasoning considering that all Genin that enter the finals are promoting their personal villages and nobody wishes to show weakness to other villages allied or not.

"Now before we start the Preliminaries 'cough' is there anyone that wishes to quit from maybe injuries or 'cough' not don't feel like they can handle to continue" Hayate asked.

Kabuto raised his hand asking to quit not feeling up to it. Hayate just excepted Kabuto's decision only Naruto had his eyes narrowed underneath his glasses knowing who he really is.

Hayate asked if anyone else wished to leave but nobody else did.

"Alright Genin lets get the Preliminaries started" Hayate explains that there will be one on one battles that will be chosen at random.

"First match can everyone else 'cough' please go to the stands to watch and 'cough' wait for your own match" Hayate pronounced.

All the Genin alongside their Sensei's went up to the stands to watch the match Naruto stood nest to Sakura while Kakashi leaned against the wall.

Anko came behind Naruto and held him close to her. Anko pulled Naruto's hood down so she could be closer to his body. Naruto didn't seem to mind that Anko did that if not even like it.

Hayate started with explaining the rules "Now you are able to use whatever you deem fit to 'cough' help with winning your fight, the fight will end when either opponent is unconscious or 'cough' forfeits I will also interfere if I deem it necessary" the comandantes nodded in understanding "Now Begin"