|01| Bokuto Kotaro/Akaashi Keiji |Red String|

Requested by @Bakushima-is-good

A red string located on each person's 5th finger, linking them to their soulmate. Each of you has a red string on both pinky fingers, with them connecting to each other. They become more tangible the closer you are to your soulmate until you meet.

"Why did you two chase me?"

"Why wouldn't we? You're our soulmate."

------

The light filters in through the gaps in your black out curtains, glinting against the nearly opaque strings tied to both of your hands. You tug at one, feeling it's smooth, cloth-like texture run against your fingertips. It trails along the floor, going out through the space under the door along with its counterpart. You can't help but stare at the strings, their bright red almost mocking against the mute colors of your room.

"Come down for dinner!" Your mom yells, her voice snapping you out of your stupor. You get up with a groan, carefully placing your feet as to not step on the strings. The heavenly smell of food wafts into your room when you open the door and you quickly make your way to the dining room.

"Welcome to the world of the living sleeping beauty." Your dad says with a light laugh. You smile at him and make your plate before sitting down at the table. Your parents begin to have a conversation that you don't bother tuning into, opting to shovel your food into your mouth instead. Suddenly your hand tugs back and you look down to see the string caught on the edge of your chair. You pull it out and stare at your pinky with contempt. After a moment your gaze turns flat and you find yourself staring at the strings for longer than you intended.

"Will you stop staring at your hand? We're in the middle of a meal, join the conversation." Your mom says, staring at you for a few silent seconds before sighing. "What's wrong?"

"For some reason my strings have been more opaque, and I can touch them now. They also keep getting caught on everything instead of just going through stuff. I wish they would just disappear entirely." You murmur. She sighs again and you look up to meet a heated glare from her.

"Please don't argue about this again." Your dad pleads from next to your mom.

"It's not my fault she's obsessed with the idea of me being with my soulmate." You grumble, frowning when she whips back around to look at you.

"That's just how things are, it's what everyone does! Why can't you just accept that?" She says in exasperation. You stare at her as you stick both of your hands out, knowing fully well she can only imagine the two strings curled around the smallest finger on both of your hands.

"Because I'm not everyone mom! Did you forgot that in your attempts to plan the perfect relationship... no, plan the perfect life for me, that I don't have a normal soulmate situation going on? Why can't you just accept the fact that I don't want to find my soulmates because I don't want to be the weirdo that ended up with two!"

"It's better than not having one at all!" Her voice rises in volume and you flinch. A heavy silence descends on the table and she leans towards you. "Now, what's the actual reason you don't want to find your soulmate? We both know you don't care about what others might think, so you might as well stop lying about it."

You stare at her for a few silent moments before letting out a hallow laugh. "Fine, you want to know why? Because clearly my other two soulmates have already found each other since the strings are all tangled together. Who am I to intrude on that? What if I'm not good enough for two people who've been together for as long as my strings have been twined, which has been years. I don't want to deal with the rejection mother, I already hate myself enough as it is."