Chapter Four: He's a Tall Drink of Water and I'm Thirsty {Ellie}

Two Days Later

The music pulsates around me. I feel it in my chest, base pounding as Scarlet dances against me.

"Hey," she says, "I want another drink!" She has to yell over the music, but I nod, hearing her anyways. Her fingers fold into mine, eyes squinting through the neon lights as she leads me toward the bar.

"What are you gonna get this time?" she asks, sitting on one of the available stools.

"I have no idea," I tell her honestly, having tried nearly every drink on the menu. "Maybe just a Crown on the rocks?" She scrunches up her nose.

"Crown on the rocks? My kinda girl, Goldilocks." I roll my eyes, fighting a smile as I face the bartender, having made this drink for me before. He winks as he hands the already made glass to me, smiling softly. "I gotta say, you guys have to be my favorite customers."

"Why's that?" Scarlet asks, sipping her own drink that I couldn't even begin to recognize.

"'Cause you guys don't scream at me or flirt back."

"You just like the hard-to-get girls," Scarlet grins, raising a brow. The bartender nods, agreeing. His eyes shift to the left of us, where a blonde in a tube top nearly climbs over the counter. Making a pained face, he juts his thumb toward her, moving away with a sigh.

"Poor guy," Scar laughs.

"Poor guy, indeed." The girl yells at him as he tries to tell her to get off of the counter. Scarlet laughs loudly, shaking her head as she turns to me. Her blue eyes lock on mine, and her smile becomes small and genuine.

"You know I love you, right? You're always going to be my sister, no matter what." I can't fight my smile.

"I know, I love you, too, Scar." She smiles, and leans forward, hugging me briefly and then downing the rest of her drink.

"Waiting for you," she gestures to my own drink, and I sigh.

This is going to burn.

I do it anyways, holding the ice back with my lip and letting the burning whiskey slide down my throat easily. The tingling sensation is enough to send me coughing, my belly on fire nearly instantly.

And then delicious shivers wrack my body, and though I'm burning alive, I feel cool and contempt.

The monster has been fed, I joke to myself.

"Let's gooooo," she says, dragging me from the bar into the middle of the crowd again.

For hours, we dance. I know I dance horribly, but here, no one cares. Everyone's either drunk or dancing badly themselves. And then, Scarlet drags me back to the bar again, desperate for another drink.

I pull my phone out from my pocket, unlocking it and seeing the few notifications.

A brief jolt of happiness shoots through me as I look through them.

No Keenan.

No Cole.

Both make for a happy Ellie!

"Holy shit." Scarlett's words make me look up. Her gaze stays locked to her right, toward the crowd. Following, I see the hunk of a man she stares at.

Definitely tall, dark, and handsome, the man looks like... I don't even know the words. And then his eyes snap up, and lock onto Scar. Amusement runs through my veins as he winks at her, turning back to say something to the equally sexy guy beside him.

"He winked at you!" I shake Scar's shoulders, and she laughs loudly, blushing. She continues staring, and I shake my head. "Go!" Telling me a brief good-bye, she races toward him. I watch them talk for a moment, before turning back to the bar.

A face greets me when I turn, nearly touching mine. I jump back, before laughing. The bartender grins at me, amused at my scare.

"You want another?"

I nod, grinning as he winks at me once more.

For a little while, we watch Scarlett dance with the guy, his hands feeling her up very obviously but she doesn't seem to mind, dancing against him. Once she's finally tired out and ready for another drink, she pulls him to the bar.

"Having fun?" I ask, glancing up at him. He smiles shyly at me, and I almost choke on my drink.

Wasn't so shy when he was grinding on my best friend less than two minutes ago, was he?

"I think we're going to head out for the night," she hints.

The guy steps away to call a cab, I presume, and she leans in close. Her face screams excitement and I smile, rolling my eyes.

"Be safe, call me if you need."

"Course. Be safe getting home." I nod, pulling out my phone to call a cab. I think I'm done for the night, too. The time reads 3:34 A.M. Releasing a sigh, I call the cab. Once they confirm they'll have someone, I hang up, turning back to Scar.

"He has a friend, you know," she grins, tucking her tongue in the side of her mouth.

"I'm good," I tell her, laughing. "Have fun."

"You kidding? That man... Oh, God, Ellie. He's a tall drink of water and I'm thirsty." I roll my eyes, and she finally makes off with the man with a final good-bye.

Alone, I sit at the bar, a newfound sense of loneliness wrapping around me like a blanket. After way too long of deciding, I make my way outside, waiting for the cab there.

Music still pulsates from the club behind me, and I feel it in my bones as I wait. The cab never shows, and I sigh.

Pulling my phone up, I look at the notification on the screen.

Hey, Cole said to tell you he's sorry and that you'd know what he was talking about. I gave him your number so he could do it himself but he's a coward.

Cole's sorry? He actually feels bad about what he said? Hell, what did he even say?

I rub my head.

The alcohol is really getting to me.

Tell him it's fine. Can you come get me? I called a cab but it never came.

It only takes a few seconds for a new message come through, and I smile.

You got it, babe. Be there in ten.

True to his word, Sebastian shows up after about ten minutes, and I make my way to his car. The passenger window rolls down, and I pause.

Looking tired from the front seat, Cole sits, staring at his phone for only a second before glancing at me. His eyes make me jolt back into reality, and I climb into the backseat of Sebastian's car.

The drive is short and filled with a horrible concert from Sebastian. Once I step out of the car, I'm lifted suddenly, making me squeal with laughter. My stomach jumps as I'm set down on my feet again. Sebastian laughs loudly as he jumps away from my swings.

"Want a piggy back ride?"

With a grin, I jump onto Sebastian's back as he squats, lowering himself so I can hang on. He carries me easily, walking up to the house as Cole follows silently.

"Alright, put me down. I'm gonna throw up," I groan, shoving Sebastian as he shakes my shoulders, making the sensation worse. "What are you guys doing?"

"Going to bed," his rough voice snaps as Cole passes me, making me jolt.

"Afraid so, darling. Night, E." Sebastian ruffles my hair as he makes toward his bedroom. Cole makes himself comfortable on the couch, eyes already closed.

Sighing, I let my eyes roam over him.

Even when he's asleep, he looks angry. Why is he always so angry?

With a shake of my head, I move for my room, collapsing on my bed and shrugging out of my jeans. Within seconds, I'm out.

__________