Chapter Fifty-Eight: I Could Die Here {Ellie}

The room is blurry as I open my eyes, everything spinning around me. As my bearings come back to me, my head pounds. White, hot pain races from my forehead to the back of my head, all around, like a bullet ricocheting in my skull. As I blink myself awake, one of my eyelashes catches, stuck on something think and sticky, smelling of copper.

I try to reach my hand up to touch my face, to see what's wrong with me, yet as I lift my arm, a harsh restraint snaps me back. Opening my good eye, I realize I'm strapped down to a chair, my shirt and shorts wet with a thick red substance.

Fuck, is that my blood?

"Ah, you're awake," a voice rings out. The sound is like a thousand cannons firing in my brain all at once, each one more painful than the last. "I'm sure your head hurts, darling. Here, take these."

Suddenly, a hand extends down to me, four little pills held in Keenan's palm.

"F-" I try, but my tongue feels heavy. Keenan squats down lower, trying to hear me.

"Fuck you," I muster, satisfied as he leans away, taking in a deep breath. He runs a hand down his face, his scruffy chin held as he rubs it for a second. He looks up, placing both hands on his lips as he releases another sigh.

And then before I can comprehend, he's driving a fist into my abdomen. Pain flares through me like I've been shot, every single nerve ending in my body lit up with pure, excruciating pain. It intensifies as Keenan grips my hair into a fist, yanking my head backwards so that I'm forced to listen to his words.

"I've told you before that I don't like the language you use, Eleanor. It's not very lady-like." Try as I might, I can't do anything but breathe, and that's barely manageable. He releases me, shoving my head backwards so that my neck strains painfully. "Apologize."

"I'm sorry," I whisper, and then I force a smile. "I'm sorry for the bad language I use when I tell you Cole is going to tear your fucking throat out-" Keenan delivers a hard slap across my face, sending my vision spinning and blurring out once more. The same coppery substance fills my mouth, and I spit, not caring that it lands on my own shorts.

"You can eat them off the floor like the dog that you are, Eleanor." He drops the pain meds on the floor, and I watch the little pills roll around me, a couple of them landing in a small puddle on the concrete floor.

Concrete?

Where the fuck am I?

As Keenan walks away, I look around, seeing large pillars around us. They hold up a concrete ceiling and attach to a concrete floor, looking like some sort of basement or bunker. It smells damp, but I can't really tell for sure over the smell of blood.

Suddenly, something begins vibrating against my chest, and it snaps into my head that I still have Cole's phone.

I have his phone!

They can track me!

They can find me!

I force myself to cough, spitting blood and spit everywhere as I try to mask the sound. It continues after a moment, my throat feeling even more dry and scratchy as I stop the fake cough.

As Keenan exits through a door, I see a set of stairs leading upward. We must be underground somewhere, hidden from all. Would they be able to track me from here? I have enough signal to have a call come through, so surely they can track me.

Left alone, I tug on the restraints. They're tight, too tight. There's no way I'm escaping these. As I tug harder, panic begins to truly set in.

Keenan kidnapped me.