Chapter Twenty-Eight: Closer {Cole}

I exit the shower just as Sebastian yells at me, telling me to hurry up. Rolling my eyes, I dry off and dress quickly, stepping into the kitchen just as Ellie catches my eye. My path changes to her immediately.

She stands by the counter-top, opening the plastic wrapper around a bag of popcorn. As I near her, she lifts her eyes to mine.

It feels as though rays of sunshine burst through my chest when her face lights up in a genuine smile, one that makes the corners of her eyes crinkle up and displays her beautiful teeth. I only realize I'm grinning back when she turns her head, cheeks brimming with red as she focuses back on the task at hand.

"Smells good," I comment, unsure of what to say. Hell, should I even be speaking?

"I love the smell of popcorn," she replies, glancing at me as she places the flat package in the microwave. Another bowl sits awaiting, half-full of popcorn cooked only a moment before I walked in. "You hungry?"

I'm so lost in her emerald eyes that I don't even realize she's speaking until she raises her eyebrows, an amused grin taking over as she waits for me to answer.

"What?" I ask.

"Are you hungry?" she asks again. Nodding, I take a step closer. Her cheeks turn crimson. Like a puppet on a string, I can't stop myself from dragging my fingertips down her forearm. Her skin is soft, so much so that I can feel the goosebumps that arise at my simple touch. I can't stop my smile as I continue, slipping a finger into the black hair tie on her wrist, the elastic stretching slightly. Her eyes find mine, her mouth parted slightly in shock.

"What, uhm... What are you doing?"

I smile. "Hanging onto you."

Her face turn bright red, clearly frazzled by my words.

I love it.

I love when she's all blushing and nervous around me. I fucking adore it. I adore her.

My adoration turns to fury as her phone goes off, vibrating against the counter. She reaches for it, but I stop her, pulling her back with the grip I still have on her hair tie on her wrist. She looks up at me, still flushed. Her eyes are wide and nervous, but also sad and desperate.

"Don't answer it. Ignore it." I find myself stepping closer, into her personal space. She doesn't step back, eyes still looking into mine so deeply I feel as though I'm in a trance. "Whatever he says, it's not true."

Still unsure, she glances toward the phone again, clear she wants to just get the pain of the message over with.

No. Ellie, just trust me, please.

I place my hand on her cheek, begging her to listen to me. "Don't let him ruin our fun. Don't let him hurt you, not right now. Ignore the message, Ellie." It's very clear that she doesn't even register my words because as soon as my hand is on her skin, she's wide-eyed and frozen. Those forest eyes just stare into mine, lost and scared and... pleading.

I release her hair tie on her arm, surprised I'm even still holding it. I keep my other hand on her cheek. I can't help but notice how perfect it fits into my palm. I swipe my thumb over her cheekbone, and she moves, tilting her head so that I cradle it softly, almost as if she's nuzzling me.

I take her wrist into my other hand, sliding my fingers down slightly so that I hold her hand. She applies pressure back, gripping mine softly as she trembles.

Closer.

Our faces are only mere inches apart. When did we get so close? How long have I been staring at her lips?

I want to kiss her.

Does she want me to kiss her?

I'm answered when she tilts her head up ever so slightly, offering her lips to me. Closer, and I now feel her breath on my own lips. My heart slams against my rib-cage, on the verge of a heart attack as I taste the breath the breathes.

Fuck. Do it.

Just as I move in to claim her lips in a kiss, Scarlet pokes her head in the door way.

"I got the movie going- Oh, sorry." Her voice quickly changes to a tone of apology as she quickly leaves us alone again. It's too late, though. The moment is ruined.

Instead of kissing her, I lean forward again, pressing my lips to Ellie's forehead. Her hand grips my forearm tightly, her eyes screwed shut as she releases a sigh, leaning into my kiss. Releasing her, I lean my forehead down to hers, my own eyes closing as I relax in this moment with my girl.

__________

"Oh, come on," Asher groans. "It's not that scary. You're cutting the circulation off in my arm." He shakes Scarlet off of him, rubbing his bicep where she was gripping for dear life moments ago. The pair sit in the floor, covered by a blanket as they lean back against the couch. Sebastian and Taylor sit on the couch against the wall, reclined back and cuddling as they watch.

Ellie sits next to me on the couch behind Asher and Scar, her form edging closer to me. I don't even think she realizes it, as the more she's startled by the jump-scares in the movie, the closer she gets.

It's adorable, really.

It doesn't take long before she's pressed against me, chin resting on her knees as she curls up beside me. The popcorn sits long abandoned on the other side of her. She doesn't seem to notice the way she hunkers down into my side slightly. I stay still, legs stretched out in front of me and one arm on the back of the couch. I don't even think she realizes my arm's behind her as she once again jolts before sinking even lower against me.

It's so fucking cute, and I don't dare move.

Not until the urge to pee has me almost dancing in order to keep from pissing myself. After I finally have enough of trying to keep from what would be the most embarrassing thing ever, I sigh, standing and putting a hand out to steady Ellie as she almost falls over, having been leaning on me completely. For a second, she looks scattered.

I take the small throw blanket from the shelf of blankets just near the door, moving back toward Ellie and draping it over her before heading for the bathroom.

It only takes a few moments to relieve myself. My bladder is completely empty... yet somehow, I still almost piss myself when Sebastian appears out of nowhere as I exit the bathroom, grabbing my shoulders and scaring the shit out of me.

"I have an idea," he smiles evilly.

__________