Chapter Seventeen: Look at Me Again {Cole}

"Hello?" Sebastian pulls his phone to his ear, chirping out a greeting to whoever's on the other end of the line. He grins, rolling his eyes. "Yes, we're on our way. We're about thirty minutes out, calm down, momma."

Glancing to the rearview mirror, I see Ellie, her eyes squinted as she laughs sweetly. Green eyes alight with laughter and joy, they flash to me suddenly. I'm shocked for a moment, too stunned at her beauty to look away.

Suddenly, Sebastian starts singing loudly, scaring the shit out of me. When I jump, the car swerves slightly, and I look at Sebastian as I steady the car.

"Christ, you almost made me crash," I tell him. "Your singing sucks, Sebastian." He laughs loudly, before flipping me off.

"Fuck off," he says, laughing.

Ellie and Scar laugh in the back seat again, and I find my eyes on her once more. When she locks eyes with me again, I can see the red blossoming on her cheeks, a sweet, shy smile spreading along her lips.

Fuck, she's so... I don't even have the words.

My stomach flips and flutters strangely as I keep my eyes on her.

After a few seconds, her eyes drop from mine, a small frown replacing her beautiful smile. Frowning, I straighten, hoping to get a better look at her. She sinks low in her seat, hiding from my gaze.

Sadness blossoms in my chest as it dawns on me that Ellie hasn't quite forgiven me yet, and it's likely to take a while for her to even think about trusting me again.

I'm sorry, Ellie. You'll forgive me someday.

"Hey, man, stop at that station. Mom wants us to grab some charcoal so we can grill." I nod at Sebastian's request, pulling off of the main road into the parking lot of the store. "Wanna come in?" he asks the three of us.

"Yeah, I want some candy," Scarlet says. "Ellie, come in with me?" I spy Ellie's head bob as she nods to Scarlet.

When we park, everyone gets out, all heading for the store. Ellie walks like her ass is on fire to get away from me, and I watch her go. It's only when we're in the store and both standing beside the drinks that I speak.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine." Her tone is clipped, making a sharp pain shoot through my chest suddenly.

Please, forgive me, Ellie.

"You don't sound fine." She just looks away, ignoring me. A brief flash of exasperation goes through me as she does so but I shove it down, knowing that I have no right to get involved anymore.

"Just leave me alone, please." That does piss me off, however.

"Fine." She flinches as I speak, her façade finally cracking. "You know what? You're right, I fucked up. Don't worry, won't bother with you again, Ellie."

I head back for the car, getting in and letting my head rest against the seat behind me.

Something aches in my bones, almost sending me off the edge.

God, I want to chase her down, hold her, beg for her forgiveness.

I'm lost in my thoughts when they all come back to the car, getting in. Sebastian and Scarlet laugh about something, but like me, Ellie is silent.

The short trip to the estate goes by fast, and once we're there, I find myself ready to just go home.

I try force myself out of the car, despite the heavy heart sitting in my chest. I fail, still remaining inside.