Chapter Twenty-Nine: I Always Knew I'd Have You Screaming {Ellie}

The movie ends just as Asher's phone goes off, the sound of a text-alert loud and clear. Scarlet gets up, getting the remote to select another movie from Sebastian's now empty-spot.

"Who is it?" she asks Asher. Normally, he'd answer. I'd been around plenty of times to hear it. He's completely open about his phone, and Scarlet is as well. This time is different, however.

He ducks his head, snickering and totally ignoring Scar's question. She frowns at him as she sits next to him again, leaning over to take a peak at the screen. He hides it immediately, distracting Scar with a kiss.

I was suspicious when Seb left only a second after Cole did. Now, I'm even more suspicious.

As another movie begins playing, I sigh, stretching out on the couch underneath the blanket spread across me. The thought brings a smile to my face, heat rising in my cheeks. The gesture was sweet and warmed my heart to the max. The thought of his lips pressed against my forehead make my heart pound just a little faster.

A loud thump sounds out from behind me, through the hallway somewhere. I jump, nearly spilling the popcorn onto Scarlet's head as we all jump up. Asher fights off a grin, putting on a clearly fake 'macho man' frown as if he's concerned.

"I'll go see. You guys stay here."

"What? No. I'm coming with you," Scarlet says, grabbing his arm.

"It's probably just Cole and Seb, just wait here." He pauses before smirking, winking at Scarlet. "At least, let's hope it was just the boys... or we're all dead." The ploy works on Scarlet, but instantly, it clicks in my head that these boys are all up to something.

"Fine," Scarlet groans. "Hurry."

Within seconds, Asher is out of sight as he weaves through the hallway. About ten minutes passes with silence, making Scarlet uneasy. She stands, looking into the hall.

"Should we go find them?" she asks.

I shake my head. "Nope. They're trying to scare us. I'm not falling for it."

"We should! It could be fun, like a haunted house," Taylor offers, grinning. I relent, letting them take my hands to pull me up from the couch and to my feet. I bring the blanket with me, wrapping it around my shoulders as I slip my phone into the pocket of my pajama bottoms.

"Come on," Taylor almost squeals, clearly excited. I laugh slightly, following behind them. Suddenly, I'm pushed to the front. I frown, feeling betrayed.

"Glad to know I'd be the first to die," I joke. We head through the hallway, getting just near the stairs as a blood-curdling scream erupts. I nearly jump out of my pants as Taylor is ripped from our little group. Sebastian drags her off into the bedroom beside the stairs, laughing.

"Come on," Scarlet yells, clearly seeing Asher moving toward us from a closet to the side. We both sprint up the stairs, Asher chasing us. She screams as she's pulled off into another bedroom, her yell turning into laughter.

That just leaves Cole.

I smile, shaking my head as I look around.

Geez, if this were a real horror movie, I'd be dead.

I spy the closet just across the hall, opening it and stepping inside. I leave the light off, so that Cole can't see my shadow if he were to walk by. I make sure to keep quiet as I close the door softly, pressing my ear against it.

Silence follows, and I let out a sigh, leaning against the wall and pulling out my phone.

'if you're gonna scare me, you're gonna have to find me first'

I wait for the message to go through, still sitting in silence.

It's only when I hear the vibration of a text message that I freeze.

My phone didn't vibrate.

Just as I go to turn around, a hand wraps around my mouth, blocking my scream as the other arm wraps around my waist, pulling me back against a large body. I flail, panic-stricken. I feel the laughter of Cole behind me, his chest against my back sending sparks through my entire body.

As he releases me, I turn, giving him a playful shove.

He barely moves, and instead, grins smugly, tucking his tongue in his cheek as he clicks the light on.

"I always knew I'd have you screaming," he comments, almost sending me into a stroke.

Holy hell. I'm going to pass out. I'm going to fucking faint.

Like a thermometer, my entire body rises with red, the heat of embarrassment making me feel too hot. Unable to meet the eyes of the hunk of a man before me, I stare at the floor.

"You're... you're a... Ugh, you're so..." I can't find the words, but Cole can, apparently.

"Sexy? Handsome? Smooth? Hot?" he asks. His lips part for another word that's definitely accurate in describing him, but I place my hand on his mouth, stopping him. Despite my embarrassment, I can't fight my smile. It stays wide on my lips, as if permanent as I shake my head at him.

I feel his smirk against my hand, his gray eyes locking onto mine as he gazes for a moment.

"We should probably go finish..." My words quickly fade as I feel Cole's lips fall, his eyes darkening ever so slightly in the dim lighting of the closet. The look alone is enough to take my breath away, but when he reaches up, grasping my wrist in a gentle hold, I almost have a heart attack.

More so, as his eyes flicker from mine, closing as he sets his jaw and presses a kiss to the palm of my hand. I must look like a fish, opening and closing my mouth in awe as I stare at him, feeling as if I could take down god himself right now.

The ghost of his lips lingers on my skin as he pulls my hand away, eyes once again meeting mine as he laces his fingers with mine. Gasping, I feel as though I'm breathless and finally able to breathe at the same time.

I feel like I can fly.

I feel like...

I feel like Cole is holding my hand.

Hesitating, I close my fingers with his, holding his hand and oh, so terrified to let go.

Still stunned, I don't register the words he speaks, only the fact that those beautiful, full lips that are moving were just on my skin again. I want them there permanently.

Get it together.

As if reading my mind, Cole tugs me slightly, a small knowing smile on his lips, the same lips that kissed my hand and forehead. I let him lead me to the door. He raises a hand to open it, but the door doesn't budge. I frown.

He releases my hand to try again, pressing against it with full body weight. Once again, no movement. It stays locked and we stay locked in.

And then, reality hits.

I'm locked in a closet with Cole.

__________