Chapter Eight: The Purple Cow {Ellie}

Two Weeks Later

"Time's up. Please, put your pencils down and pass your papers forward." My heart pounds and sweat gathers in my pores, but I do as the professor says, handing my paper to the person in front of me.

With a glance around the lecture hall, I see that the rest of the class looks as nervous about their final as I am about mine.

This isn't the easiest class, and Microbiology has never been a favorite of mine, so it's easy to doze off, get distracted, or want to skip this class. Only now, I fear my grade as been effected by it.

Sighing, I leave the building, heading for the shiny blue car that the others wait in, Scarlet's feet being propped up on the dashboard as Sebastian fiddles with the radio.

"Hey," she greets as I enter, throwing my bag to the other side.

I'm glad Cole has quick reflexes, because it would've hit him otherwise. I give him a sheepish glance as he half-glares at me, sitting the bag on the floor.

"Hey," I reply back to Scar.

"How'd it go?" She turns in her seat to look at me.

"No idea. Feels like it went awful. God, if this brings me down to a C, I might actually cry." My head begins stabbing with sharp pains, the stress migraine already moving in.

"C's get degrees, dollface. Cheer up, we're going to eat at your favorite place to celebrate your last final of the year," Sebastian grins, winking at me from the front.

"Where's that?" I ask.

"The Purple Cow," Scarlet answers for him as he pulls out of the parking lot. "Oh, guess what!" Her voice turns excited. "Remember the guy from the club? Asher?" I nod, and she continues. "He asked me on an official date! Not like a club date but like a movie date!"

Her excitement spreads, and I can't help the smile that forms on my face.

"That's great, Scar."

Her giddy form turns to face forward, slipping her seat belt on.

"What about you, E? You have any boy-toys you want to share about?" Sebastian laughs. I roll my eyes, shaking my head.

"No."

"Come on," he goads. "I want to know so that I can scare them off. Cole, would you walk around naked to scare off Ellie's boyfriends with me?" I blanch, laughing as the disturbing image pops into my head.

Cole's face scrunches into an adorable look of horror, before he shakes his head. "Hell no," he says.

"God, you're going to kill us. Watch where you're going, dumbass," Scarlet snaps, grabbing the handle on the roof of the car as Sebastian changes lanes.

He laughs her words off, shaking his head.

"I've got this. Just shut up and find me directions," he says, glancing at her. She glares at him and the two begin bickering like children. I can't help the longing that begins to form in my bones, and I look away from the pair.

The image of my brother and I bickering like that as kids is all I can see. My parents driving happily in the front. All is well. And then the crash. My dad's funeral, my mom's addiction, and my brother's hatred for me.

The reminder of my family is sad, but the sight of the restaurant coming into view makes it clear up quickly.

"What even is this place?" Cole asks, frowning and looking disgusted as we get out of the car.