fourteen

volley gang

JENO
ill beat the shit out
of you all if we lose
tonight on god

YUKHEI
wow

YUKHEI
a sophomore threatening
ME?

JENO
i'm the captain not
you

JAEMIN
why are we texting
we're like across
each other

RENJUN
kim is here thats
why??

MARK
what renjun said

YUKHEI
ok but bet i promised
this girl we'll win

YUKHEI
now don't embarrass
me bros

DONGHYUCK
i'm bringing my girlfriend
too please i'm not gonna
embarrass myself

JENO
you're all acting like
everything depends
on me? okay

JAEMIN
you know you both need
to play to win right

DONGHYUCK
shut up

_________

jaemin closed his eyes, the familiar weight of the volleyball resting in his hand. the indoor stadium was silent, everyone waiting in anticipation for the him to serve the ball. the final set was almost over and jeno's team was a point in the lead. jaemin's eyes reopened and he looked at the ref, who blew the whistle and gestured for him to serve.

jaemin gave the ball a few experimental tosses before throwing the ball into the air, hitting it with a careful amount of strength. he felt his lips twitch when the other team couldn't touch it, pushing his own team further into the lead and the stands to roar. the ball was rolled back over to his side and he picked it up, his face blank as the audience went silent.

jaemin quickly got himself back into the zone, ignoring the sudden noise coming from his left. he furrowed his brows and took a deep breath, feeling sweat trickle down the back of his neck. he got ready to toss the ball when his eyes met sorae in the crowd, showing him two thumbs up.

he sighed and threw the ball again into the air, making it land on the ground in between the opponent team. the referee's whistle and the entire team running to the court towards jaemin indicated that he was the star of the show.

mark was already too busy with his girlfriend in the corner, jaemin's eyes land on donghyuck....and sorae in his arms. "what are you staring a—oh" jeno follows jaemin's strong gaze to see donghyuck peppering sorae's face with kisses. "uhhh...do you wanna go get changed?"

________

"guys i don't feel so good, head to the dinner without me yeah?" jaemin says to the team and their girlfriends inside the van, duffel bag resting on his shoulder.

"what? how can we go have our celebratory dinner without the star of the show?" yukhei exclaims from the back of the van.

"yeah he's right, jaemin what the fuck, c'mon!" renjun joins yukhei.

"i don't feel good, really, do you guys potentially want me to throw up on your food?" jaemin looks at yukhei and renjun deep in the eye. deep down he wanted sorae to say something, maybe if she did he would get in the van. but at the same time, he doesn't want to get exposed to donghyuck's extreme pda which will hurt his heart in the middle of the night.

jaemin was glad the team didn't pester him too much. that night, he walked to his apartment with a broken heart and a frown on his face, the memories of tonight's achievement long gone.