p r o l o g u e

"(Y/N). . ."

Sound went into one ear and out the other.

"(Y/N). . ."

Wait, is someone calling my name?

"(Y/N)!"

I looked to the source of noise to see none other than Peter Parker sitting next to me.

"Huh?" I said, trying to focus.

Peter looked as though he was about to say something, before MJ butted in saying, "We are trying to debate about if the school cafeteria chicken nuggets deserve to be served here if they aren't even really chicken. But somebody won't pay attention."

"Well," I mumbled, taking a bite of one, "they taste okay to me, so I don't really care."

"Exactly! If anything, they need to be served somewhere better than the school cafeteria," Ned exclaimed, while finishing up his portion.

Before MJ could continue, she was interrupted by my phone buzzing loudly on the table.

"Gotta take this, it's my dad." I got up and headed to the hallway to get away from the noise of the cafeteria. After getting to an empty classroom close by, I looked down to see Grandpa Frisbee is calling before answering. "Yello?"

"(Y/N/N)," I heard him sigh on the other end of the line.

"What's up, Pops?"

"I need you to leave early today. I'll be there to pick you up in about five minutes, so be ready."

"Sure, is something wrong?"

"Well," he hesitated, "I'll tell you more when you get outside, but it seems I'll be needing your help a little bit sooner than I anticipated."

I could already hear the heavier tone. This could mean two things: I did something or something really bad has happened.

"Okay, be outside in five."

I ended the call and headed back into the cafeteria to grab my stuff.

What am I going to tell them? Who knows how long I'd be gone?

As I made my way over, I noticed them look up as I approached.

"Everything's all good?" Peter asked.

"Yup. I'm leaving early, so tell Mr. Harrington I had a family issue come up. See you losers later," I say as I salute them and walk towards the front entrance. Passing out the door, I see my dad on his classic motorcycle waiting for me to come out. "Alright, are you actually going to tell me what's going on?"

"We have a funeral to get to. Peggy died last night and I have to be there. After that, I have a few things to take care of while we're over there. There's been a couple of sightings of Bucky throughout Europe, and I need your help tracking him down. You in?"

"Hell yeah."

• A  F E W  D A Y S  L A T E R•

Peter's POV:

I got back home after a long day of school, blasting to some music in my earbuds. Fumbling with the key, I finally got it into the old lock and opened the door.

"Hey, Aunt May," I shouted, putting down my book bag and the computer parts I'd found.

"Hey. How was school?" she asked.

"Okay; there was this crazy car outside and-" I turned around to face Aunt May to see Tony Stark sitting on my couch. ON MY COUCH.

"Oh, Mr. Parker," he said, holding what I think is supposed to be a date loaf.

"Um, wha-wha," I started, pulling out the earbuds. "Hey. I'm, um, um, Peter. What are you doing here?"

"You've been getting my emails, right?" he asked, winking each eye.

"Yeah; yeah. Regarding the. . ."

"You didn't even tell me about the grant," Aunt May jumped in, looking as ecstatic as ever.

"The grant."

"The September foundation." Mr. Stark hinted that I just needed to go along with it, but I wasn't really sure why.

"Right."

"Yeah, remember when you applied?"

"Yeah."

"I approved, so now we're in business."

"You didn't tell me about any of this. What's up with that? You starting to keep secrets from me?" Aunt May asked.

"Well I just know how much you love surprises, so I thought I'd tell you when- anyway. What did I even apply for?" I asked.

"That's why I'm here," Mr. Stark paused, "to hash it out."

"Okay. Hash out, okay."

"It's so hard for me to believe that she is someone's aunt."

"Well, we come in all shapes and sizes, you know," Aunt May fumbled out, clearly flustered.

"This woman's date loaf is exceptional-"

"Let me just stop you there," I interrupted. "Is this grant got money involved or whatever, no?"

"Yeah, it's pretty well funded; look who you're talking to. Can I have five minutes with him?" Tony asked Aunt May.

"Sure."