f i v e

After managing to wake up and be present in the world, I made my way down towards the kitchen to try and find something to eat. Opening the fridge, it seemed to have normal things. Moving onto the shelves, I find a box of Bisquick. What's wrong with some pancakes?

By the time I was finishing up the stacks, Stark came in with a large, empty cup of coffee with some even larger eye bags.

"You want some pancakes?" I asked, unsure if he actually heard me. He seemed to be focused on something else.

Walking over to the coffee machine, he prepped for another cup and the smell filled the room. Is that. . . French Vanilla I smell? "Huh? Oh, uh, no. As tempting as that sounds, I think I'll stick with the coffee."

I nodded in response. I put the dishes in the sink and walked over to eat the stack in front of me. "I'll be out for most of the day. I'm meeting up with my friends after picking up my stuff to grab coffee and such."

"Just don't do anything I wouldn't do."

I snorted. "That leaves a lot of leeway room to do whatever I want, you know."

He grumbles and walks back to wherever he was before. Taking that as my cue, I finish up and leave to go get my stuff.

Walking out to the black car in front of the tower, I plugged in my earbuds and gave a small salute to Happy. He doesn't seem to be much of a talker, so I'll respect that. Pulling up Spotify, I found the first playlist on my recently listened to and hit shuffle. A Green Day song started up and I began to zone out the world around me. I pass it so much that there's not much new.

Wait, hold on. Is that Underoos zipping across the sky? Looking closer as we passed one of my favorite sub shops, Delmar's, he seemed to be holding his phone up to take a picture. Dork. He looked to be in a rush to get somewhere. We aren't meeting for a couple hours, so what is he up to?

About twenty minutes later, thanks to the New York traffic, we arrived in front of the Brooklyn apartment I called home. I stepped out of the car and I could immediately smell the garlic and Italian spices; I knew I was home.

We have an older woman, Ms. Farina, living below us whose parents immigrated here before she was born. She's lived there her entire life and has the best Italian food I've ever eaten. I think she even used to run a restaurant with her husband before retirement. We've had some late nights in the past and she's always pitched in with her amazing lasagna or her famous Italian wedding soup. She's even made tiramisu for my birthday a few times.

I leaned down to the front window of the car and said, "I'm going to grab my stuff. I'll be back in a little while."

He responded with a simple nod, and I knew that's the best I'll get out of him all day.

Walking through the front doors, the smell becomes even more overwhelming and I can't help but stop by to say hello. Knocking on the front door, she responds with a simple, "It's open."

"Hey, Ms. Farina, how have you been?"

"(Y/N)? Is that you? I haven't seen you in days! Where have you been?" Ms. Farina dropped the spoon she was currently stirring with into the pot.

"I had a family thing pop up and we had to travel. What have you been cooking? I could smell it all the way outside!"

"Oh, you know, the usual feast for nine, but only served for one." She waved her hand as if all the work she puts into her passion is nothing. "You want some? You look like you haven't eaten in days. I might even have some tiramisu in the freezer, if you want some of that too."

"I couldn't. I'm not here for long anyway. Pops is away for business and I'm staying with a family friend. I'm here to pick up some things, but that doesn't mean I won't stop by to say hello every now and then until Pops gets back."

"What? That's bullshit! Why can't you just stay here? I pretty much cook for you anyway and I'm right next door to your apartment. It wouldn't be a problem at all!"

"Sorry, Ms. Farina. Just following orders."

"Well that sucks. At least take some of my feast for your family friend as a thank you for watching you. You're a lot to handle, you know that?"

"Alright, alright, but you have to include the tiramisu, ok? That's a staple for you." I smiled as she turned to get the care package ready.

"Go get your things together and meet me in the hallway before you leave."

Finding my stuff wasn't a problem. Packing it up for what might be a pretty long-term "vacation" was. Looking at all the photographs from Dad's years in the war and from when I was younger, it was painful to know I'd be leaving this for an unknown amount of time. The apartment isn't big, but I kinda liked it that way.

Finishing up, I swung the book bag over my shoulder and grabbed the handle on my suitcase. Making my way downstairs, I saw Ms. Farina at the banister with a paper bag stuffed to the brim with Tupperware containers of her food.

She smiled as she saw me come down and said, "This should feed a party of twenty and then some, if you're curious. But knowing you, you'll eat it in about three days. I put the tiramisu on top and a sticky note notifying that it's only for you."

Setting down the bags, I smiled and reached out to hug her. It sucks that I'll have to be away from her. Her rough skin felt comforting as we pulled away from the hug.

"Take care of yourself, ok? There's a pretty big world out there."

"Yes ma'am."

"And please come to visit sometime. It gets pretty lonely when it's only me, myself, and I."

"I will, and thanks for the food!" I waved, making my way out of the building to the car sitting out front. Popping the trunk, my stuff is loaded up, and the food is prioritized to be put up front with Happy.

"Can I walk to the coffee shop I'm meeting my friends at? It's not far from here," I asked, hopeful to get some fresh air.

"Sure, kid."

"He speaks!" I quietly celebrated my win and added, "Make sure that Stark doesn't touch the tiramisu. That's for me and me alone. Thanks for the ride, Happy."

I walked away, left only with my book bag. Pulling the earbuds back on, a song by Foster The People, blasted its opening. Finally able to get some much needed alone time, I smiled and made my way through the crowded, busy streets of New York.