t w e n t y - e i g h t

The rest of my weekend was spent under a blanket not speaking to anyone. I did give the dress back to Ms. Farina and boy was that an interesting experience.

I knocked lightly on Ms. Farina's apartment door, ripped dress in hands. I still have no clue how I'm going to explain this one. Most of today was spent sleeping after being up quite late last night, which I'm sure Ms. Farina expected anyways.

I could hear the shuffling of feet across the hardwoods of the old apartment building before the door swung open. She smiles widely at me, before looking down at the dress in my arms.

"What the hell happened there?" she cried out in surprise, a slight Italian accent showing. "It looks like you got a bit too crazy last night."

I turned red in the cheeks and stumbled out, "I-, I um. Can you fix it?"

"So, I didn't hear a no there," she said with a wink. Taking the dress from my arms, she examined it closely. "Yes, I can fix it. Besides, I know you wouldn't be doing that. I have another hunch of what you were doing."

"You do?"

She hummed a yes in response, walking the dress down the hall to her bedroom. An old sewing machine was set up closer to a wall. Laying it on top, she turned to face me again. "Of course, you don't think I don't notice things? Your dad's Captain America after all. You're not the quietest either about sneaking back in. Especially that one time right after that bank robbery." She chuckled, shaking her head. "Most wouldn't see these things, mind you, but your secret's safe with me."

I stood there in complete shock. Nobody's ever figured it out before. Too nervous to even look her in the eyes, I scanned the small bedroom. There were some pictures on the bedside table. One was a younger version of Ms. Farina with whom I presume to be her husband. Picking it up, I can't help but smile at their smiling faces.

"Katarina 'Katy' Elizabeth Farina and Cedro William Farina," I breathed out. This was the first time I've learned her first name officially. She's always just told me to call her Ms. Farina. "You guys look very cute together."

"Thank you, dear." I could see she was tearing up.

Putting it back on the table, I faced her. "Yeah, I'm Nova."

"And is this what got this dress caught under fire?"

I told her everything. She insisted on tiramisu afterwards, but I had no problem with that.

Now, I was walking in the dingy school hallways as Ned freaked out about being a superhero for thirty seconds. His sound effects and hand movements made the entire experience even better.

"You saved me," Peter commented after Ned finished his little show.

"Dang, Peter, I'm surprised you haven't promoted your guy in the chair. It sounds like he deserves it," I said, letting out a laugh.

Peter slowed down to a stop in the middle of the hall and I followed his line of sight. We saw Liz and who I presume to be her mother standing with the principle. Her mother was carrying a box and Liz was being hugged by Betty.

She must be leaving. Her dad got caught, so it wouldn't be right to stay here.

Ned and I watched awkwardly from the side as Liz totally shut Peter down, again, but this time in tears. The somewhat good mood he had was quickly diminished.

"Congratulations, Decathlon national champions," Mr. Harrington announced, causing everyone sitting around two pushed together library tables to clap. "I'll have to put this back into the trophy case soon, but just for motivation right now at this practice. I'm ahead of the game, but we need a captain next year. So I am appointing Michelle."