t w e n t y - o n e

Once we safely made it outside of the hotel, we went up to the roof to see if anything had changed location wise with the bad guys.

Peter put on his mask and this bright light spread over the suit like it was starting up for the first time. I could hear some almost British-sounding voice coming out of it and Peter was suddenly so confused. He began to mumble some high-pitched hellos and was looking around like a kid at the candy store. I'm guessing that Stark finally gave Pete an AI.

"I put this tracker on someone. He's a bad guy," he said louder, finally getting used to a voice, "As long as we make it back in time for the Academic Decathlon, it's fine."

I was suddenly grabbed around the waist by a familiar spandex-clad buddy and heat spread across my face. Totally glad it's dark and I'm wearing a mask. We then swung onto the top of a garbage truck and rode it trying to follow these dudes.

As time passed, we sat listening to the AI ramble on about how far away we are from our "destination." I even got to jump off of a truck for the first time. Do not recommend, very rough on the rolled landing and grass didn't help.

We both hid behind an overgrown bush and Peter whispered, "Why is their secret lair in a gas station? That's so lame."

"What if they want to keep it on the down-low?" I whispered back.

Peter then helped pull me up onto the gas station sign and I sat down as a way to balance. Peter's mumbling continued and then he reported that he was listening to what they were saying.

"Woah, they're in the middle of a heist! We could catch them red-handed! This is so awesome."

I, on the other hand, was trying to stay balanced on this thin sign. Sighing, I asked, "What are they trying to get this time?"

"We should probably get a bit closer to figure that out." More talking to himself commenced. I'm starting to miss when he didn't have all this high-tech. I looked over to see that his goggles switched over to these beaded red eyes. Creepy. "No, no, no! I don't want to kill anyone!"

Finally moving towards the dudes in the car, I'm pulled, yet again, off of the sign, but instead of the normal swing, we headed straight for the ground. Using my powers, I'm able to use basic shields to brace my fall and run to hide behind a gas pump. Thanks for that, Daniel.

"Mr. Stark really overdid himself. There's like 600 different web combinations!" Peter exclaimed.

He began to test out a bunch of different webs trying to find the normal webbing. I watched as he lit up the gas station logo because of taser webbing and took a deep breath.

He's really good at being inconspicuous. We're gonna die. I knew this was coming, just didn't think it'd be at an abandoned gas station outside of a highway.

I watched as this row of cars moved down the road and then this loud airplane-ish noise sounded through the air. Are they trying to steal from the trucks? All of a sudden, he dropped inside the last truck in the row.

Does he have magic like mine? Or is it just more tech? If so, how's that possible?

Peter gave me a hand and we jumped on top of that truck. We examine the portal he used to get inside.

"No way! It's like some matter shifter," Peter theorized.

"You think it's also powered by that alien tech?" I asked and only got a nod in response.

Bird-man then popped up from his hole and was trying to pick up his tech and leave. We weren't going to let that happen, and Pete called out, "Hey Big Bird. That doesn't belong to you!"

I stood next to him and got ready for a fight. I already knew this was coming, but Big Bird has other plans because he connects back to his wings.

"Oh God! He's using those huge wings again!" I shouted.

Flying down, he went to knock us off our feet, but I ducked down while Peter jumped over him. Peter's webs still weren't working, I used the more basic side of my powers to try and bend the wings so he couldn't fly. Peter then grabbed onto his legs as another attempt to keep him grounded when my efforts weren't getting much farther.

Big Bird decided that the goods he tried to collect weren't worth this much work, so he chucked the bag at Peter's head.

He- he just got yeeted all the way through that tech portal.

I guess it's my turn to give this a try.

I made a small magic portal in front of me and jumped through, landing on the back of his wings. He apparently noticed the extra weight and began flying away from the truck as a way to drop me.

I'm not letting go that easily, pigeon dude.

Before I could react, I was thrown over his shoulder and onto the back of the metal van.

Who knew this man could wrestle?

Staggering to my feet, the world blurred and I tried to send a blast at birdman, but it missed.

I don't miss. What's going on? Where'd he go?

I'm shoved back down and a hand laid on my back. A shiver ran up my spine as a voice very close to my face asked, "Where'd you get your magic from?"

"I don't know," I mumbled, "Where'd you get your wings?"

He pulled my hair up and slammed my head back onto a ridge on the van. "I'll ask again. Where'd you get your damn magic from?"

"How am I supposed to know? I can't seem to concentrate on much with you banging my head against metal."

Grunting in unsuccessfulness, he let go of my hair and pushed me across the rough metal of the truck until I fell right on top of Peter.

Peter quickly moved out from under me, pushing me to the side, and tried to jump out of the container. To no success, he hits his head on the roof of the van and falls back to the base. He just stays there.

Is he out?

"Pete? Are you there buddy?" I softly pulled basic words together.

No response.

I sighed in defeat and noticed how heavy my eyelids feel.

Yup, definitely dying today. It just won't be at an abandoned gas station. It'll be inside of a completely sealed storage unit.

Accepting defeat, I closed my eyes and fell into a different kind of darkness.

A/n: Been meaning to do this for a very long time, but I want to give a huge thank you to FZeroTrash. She is one of the nicest human beings ever and very supportive! I have enjoyed all of our conversations. Btw, if any of you love Persona 5, go check out her amazing book!