"what on earth are you doing here?"

Karima stared at the ground as if it could console her.

Of course it wouldn't.

The USWNT had just crashed out of the Olympics.

At the group stage.

In last place.

How did things go so wrong?

Authors note: OK, I realise that I keep knocking the USWNT out of tournaments recently but I promise that's not personal. I couldn't do that to my home country 😂

Maybe Karima didn't want to know. She was now looking at her wife who was tearfully saluting the fans and hugging her teammates. It may not be the last time she's on the pitch.
The federation confirmed that they were set to hold a farewell game for Emily Sonnett.

As of now though, the current concern would be the group standings.
The USWNT ended their tournament on a solitary point, courtesy of a draw against South Korea.

Now the World Champions had just lost to Jamaica 2-1 in an embarrassing exit, which had been all but confirmed beforehand.

Karima couldn't stomach to look at anyone as she headed down the tunnel. The past year had turned into shit. Although she could hold on to Arsenal's domestic campaign, which saw them top the WSL with a record tally.

"Hard luck," Abby ruffled her hair as she went down the tunnel but Karima knew her assistant coach was disappointed in her. Fatigue had once again crept into her and overwhelmed everything. Not to forget the personal issues still facing a couple on the USWNT.

The team gathered back at the hotel, where words were shared. Some of motivation, some contained disappointment and then Karima saw Tobin and Christen turn up.
"You guys," Heath appeared too mad to properly talk, "have disappointed me so much. What happened to us? The team. Well, we're not. Simple as that."
The ex-player was now looking at everyone, who in return couldn't meet her blazing gaze.
"Nothing unites us. Nothing. I could sit here and talk about what went wrong for the whole day but I think I could sum it up."

Now the eyes were on Karima. "Some of you, SOME, let issues off the pitch creep onto it. And that's never ok."
Tobin then shook her head before quietly saying to Christen "I can't say anymore babe."
Press took her fiancée's arm and began to lead her away. "There isn't anything to say." She tried to assure "You were bang on."

The couple departed the ring of players and staff.
Then Ash turned to Karima. "I thought you guys would've sorted it. Your issues. Then again Karima, it's really your fault to be honest. Who does that? Honestly, Emily deserves far better."

Karima took that the wrong way. Taking her ring off, she burst. "Well then, why doesn't she find better ? I know how useless I am Ash. You know I don't need reminding of that. I know. So can you all do me a favour and leave me be? Please."

With that, Karima left. Ignoring pleas for her to come back, Karima didn't want to look at what she'd become. How within the space of twelve months, she'd been ruined. Everything good in her life had went, everything .

The plane journey was too quick for Karima . She would rather be in the middle, not stuck in Paris, the city of love , and be reminded of her failures there or go back to London, where Ennen and Kerry were.

Karima didn't have to see them. She moved out the accommodation months ago. Mona has went wondering down the streets and Karima didn't give a fuck about the other two.

She was met with drizzle on return to the English Capital.
Karima really couldn't be arsed with life.
She couldn't really speak that much with Emma anymore, who was spending all her time with her new boyfriend and she still wasn't on speaking terms with Cole.
Although Karima was more amicable with her family, she knew they couldn't ever help her in a situation as helpless as this.

A cab was booked to task getting Karima home. It was only about two minutes away but Karima wasn't going to lug her suitcase about for any more than 20 seconds.

Thanking the driver before leaving, she stepped onto the pathway. The drizzle had now turned to heavy rain and puddles were beginning to form, Karima's reflection now appearing to remind her of the broken character she forever will be.

Dragging the suitcase behind her, Karima just wanted to go home and go to bed. The cap in her face had been partially blocking her view and Karima eventually decided to remove it altogether to help her vision.

It couldn't help her with the next dilemma though.
"Excuse me..." Karima was rooted to the spot "for asking, but Emily, what on earth are you doing here?"