An unexpected twist

It was July the tenth. The wedding day of Christen Press and Tobin Heath.

It was set in Paris. The city of love. That didn't give Karima very many good memories.

Parking her car before getting out, Karima was then escorted to the venue.

She was given looks of death by Mal, Rose, Sam, Lindsey, Tierna and...her.

Karima hoped she didn't have to speak to any of them the whole night.

There was guilt in her as she saw Christen and Tobin walk down the aisle. They were looking at her, but the favour wasn't returned.

The ceremony was officiated by Carli who after announcing her former teammates as partners for life, got a first hand view of the lengthy smooch the lovebirds engaged in.

Karima got constant flashbacks throughout the wedding. Seafood in the menu, speech's constantly vowing to not let Paris 2024 repeat itself and Linkin Park even played at one point.

Then it was Christen and Tobin's first dance. Despite everyone filming them, the newly married couple seemed to not acknowledge anyone apart from themselves, turning to their tune.

'Cause my Darling, you and I, could take over the world
And one step at a time, just you and I

By the time the song reached its chorus, most of the USWNT players, past and present, were on the dance floor.
Karima felt an arm on her and was shocked to see it being Emily.
"Shall we dance?" She purred and Karima wondered whether she was drunk.

They slow danced to All of me, A thousand years, Thinking out loud, Perfect, I will always love you, Just the way you are, Love me now, Marry you and many, many more.

Before they knew it, it was half eleven and Karima couldn't take it any more.
She kissed Emily for the last time, before leaving.

"Karima!" Karima turned around to see Ali.
"Where you going?" The ex-defender wanted to know.
Karima sighed. "I don't feel well. Tell Christen and Tobin my thanks, but I have to go."
Her former teammate nodded. "Take care kiddo? Ok?"
Karima looked at her for what would be the last time. "Love you."

Karima got into the car before hitting the radio.

So remember we were driving, driving in  your car
Speed so fast, I felt like I was drunk

Karima looked at the speed meter. She was at 80 mph. But she didn't really care anymore.

City lights lay out before us and your arm felt nice 'round my shoulder

The irony of being in the city of love and the loneliest person in the world.

I had a feeling that I belonged

Karima's eyes started to flutter shut and her focus was no longer on the wheel.

I had a feeling that I could be someone

Everything started to happen more slowly.

Be someone

She wasn't even on the road.

Be someone

Then Karima's world turned black.