"Our little secret"

Karima couldn't stop it. Maybe she didn't want to.

It was the last dance of middle school. Before they were 'big kids' and destined to enjoy the terrors of high school.

Karima and Ennen were waiting for their parents to pick them up. They were essentially the last people left and Karima was always so annoyed when that happened.
"Hey," her best friend took her hand. "Do you wanna go somewhere?"
"Yeah." Karima rolled her eyes. "Home."

Ennen laughed. "I can't take you there silly!"
She lead Karima out the building.
It was half eight and the sky was a sweet golden colour illuminating the innocent kids adventures.

The hut was behind the school. Relatively small, although Karima already knew she'd miss the  white marble steps that she used to perch on and have so many memories with.
As usual, Ennen seemed to read her mind. "Let's sit up there," she whispered "for the last time."
The girls hurried over.
They had a good view. The hut was on a hill, overlooking the neighbourhood near the school and they could also see whether their parents were coming.
Karima noticed Ennen wipe a tear from her eye. "What's wrong?"
Her best friend shook her head. "I'm gonna miss this...not just the place but the memories. Our innocence. We can never have these back. Just treasure them."

Karima nodded. Ennen was speaking facts.
Then suddenly, her hand was being held again and it made her uncomfortable. "Have you ever..." her voice was barley audible.
Karima frowned. "Have I ever what?"
Ennen sighed in frustration, looking to the sky for some help. "Experiences feelings? Like, romantically?"

Karima shook her head. "I don't think I've ever been in love."
Ennen was intrigued. "Have you ever been attracted to anyone? Like physically?"
Karima thought back to the silly guy crushes she had in elementary and middle school.
"I guess so."
Ennen nodded. "Well...I feel more than that."
Karima was intrigued. "With who?"

Nothing was said so Karima got very worried. She had been looking out for either of their parents cars which meant she didn't make any eye contact with Roscoe until now.

Upon looking at each other, Karima saw a glint gleam in Ennen's eye that she had never witnessed before.
Then within the space of two seconds, everything changed.

Ennen gently pushed her lips onto Karima's and it took thinking time to realise that she was being kissed by her best friend.
By the time she was able to comprehend that though, Ennen had broke it off and was nowhere to be seen.

Ten years later and the same infamous moment seemed to have repeated itself.
Their lips touched each others although the kiss was more fierce, something more 'meaningful'.
Yet it barely took any more time and when Karima looked to the door THAT WAS OPEN, she finally heard her wife's sweet snoring.
Karima had looked back towards Ennen who once again, lacked remorse.

Putting her finger to her lips, she whispered
"Our little secret."
Before departing.
And leaving Karima to pick up the pieces.

AUTHORS NOTE:
So...some food for thought!

Was Karima cheating on Emily?
Does Emily deserve to know about this?
Why is Ennen doing this?
Will this affect Karima's marriage or relationship with Ennen?
It's up to you to decide!