Tonight

// This is based off of a very new AU of mine where almost all the Sonic characters are born in the late 1900's/early 1910's. Sonic and Shadow grow up together and Sonic realizes he has feelings but is too scared to tell Shadow. This is one sided and is set in the 1940's, where Shadow has to go off to fight in the war. It's short because I wrote this at 1 am and I wasn't fully awake. Art belongs to me!

Dread filled the blue hedgehog as he reads the names he knows enlisted on it.

Knuckles

Mighty

Vector

Espio

He hesitates when he gets to the last name he knows. His hands very shaky, as he takes a breath in.

Shadow

' Of course Shadow would be in this war. ' The blue hedgehog thought to himself as he walks to his window. He lived alone, in his decent sized house. He didn't see any reason to get married to some women he'll regret. After all, his heart only stayed true to one person. Although, this one person was already getting to war and possibly had already proposed. The thought of it didn't even hurt him anymore, his heart was already broken enough.

Fixing his belt and tucking his dress shirt, he peeps out of his window. Emerald eyes stared across the house in front of him. Just like himself, Shadow had lived in his childhood house. Though, the ebony never visited anymore, probably because he was busy. He could see the hedgehog leave the house in his uniform, with his girlfriend who wore a uniform too. She was a charismatic, charming girl. Amy is her name, and she was a tough yet loving women. They got into the car. Amy sharing a kiss on the cheek before Shadow pulls out of the driveway.

Watching him drive off, the blue hedgehog pulls away and sighs.

' Bet they're doing a date night ' He hadn't noticed before, but while rubbing his cheeks, he felt tears. He wiped them off before sitting on his couch.

' You are a child, Sonic. Still crying over some stupid crush. ' He sat there, sulking in his thoughts before his eyes lazily rolled to the door.

" Wait a minute... "

He spoke his thoughts aloud. His eyes sparkled as he quickly gets up and rushes to where his socks are.

" I CAN STILL GO SAY GOODBYE! "

Shadow didn't leave until tomorrow, meaning Sonic had plenty of time to say goodbye. He puts his socks on before going into his bathroom to get himself ready. He looked in the mirror, noticing the bags under his eyes.

" Like mama use to say... "

The hedgehog opens the door to reveal a little bit of makeup in it.

" A lil makeup never hurts a guy. "

Closing his eyes, while unintentionally leaning forward, he applies it. Once done, he opens his eyes and smiles at his work.

" Now that's better! Shadow won't have to worry about before he leaves! "

This was the first time in a long time Sonic felt this happy. The first ever time he was truly happy is when he realized he had fell for the ebony hedgehog. Who wouldn't? His personality is nice, he is hot, etc etc. His strip friend made him bubbly and happy inside, but it also killed him too. The blue hedgehog wasn't his lover, nor was he living with him. But Sonic could only smile, he didn't need to be negative.

He leaves his bathroom, rushing to his front door and unlocks it. Shutting it behind him and locking it, he heads over to his car and gets in. Starting it up, he remembers exactly where the soldiers were going before they left. So with that, he drives off.

...

Parking, Sonic nervously sat in his car after turning it off. He didn't know how he should feel about this. After all, this was a war, what if Shadow never came back?

' Knowing Shadow, I think he'll be fine. ' After reassuring himself, he gets out of the car. There was a lot of young women and soldiers making their way inside. It made the blue hedgehog feel very out of place. Once entering, emerald eyes scanned the place. There was so many people, it made it nearly impossible to find his ebony friend. That's when hands decided to slam themselves into his shoulder. With a jump, Sonic turned around to become face to face with ruby eyes.

" Ah, Sonic! You came! I was going to call you, I'm sorry I didn't call you sooner. Amy wanted alone date time. "

The blue one smiled. Shadow, even in uniform, look as handsome as ever. But he pushed those thoughts away, making a hum.

" No worries. Even with a lack of presence, you are still my best friend. "

It was true. Although Shadow didn't visit often, his name still floated around his head. There was no such thing as ' forgetting Shadow ' in the blue hedgehog's mind. He could only see a soft smile on that tan muzzle.

" Come drink with me, and we shall talk about what we missed. "

The ebony had such a gruff and rough voice, some say he is terrifying and scary. But once you got to know him, he was just a big softy under those quills. Sitting down on a chair next to him, Sonic had noticed there was no sign of Amy. This confused him greatly, Amy was usually around the ebony a lot. Ruby eyes scanned him before chuckling.

" She went home, she feels quite awful after having a drink or two. "

A small ah escaped Sonic's mouth as looks at the drink in front of him. The blue hedgehog wasn't known as a drinker, but did have sips every once in a while.

" So, tell me. Have you found yourself a lovely lady yet? "

Ruby eyes were curious, as Sonic just shook his head.

" Nah, I rather be a bachelor. I don't have an interest in a family. "

A white lie, but he couldn't just say to Shadow that he wanted to adopt kids with him. Sitting back Shadow takes a drink from his beverage. The younger hedgehog didn't feel a need to drink. Instead, he wanted to-

" Dance with me, won't you Shadow? "

The ebony stares at him before setting his drink down. He gets up and holds a hand out for Sonic.

" I would love to dance with my best friend. "

He could feel the aching in his heart again.

' No, not now. I'm getting what I want! I just want to spend time with him before he leaves! ' Preserving through his heart ache, he takes his ebony friend's hand and they go out to dance together. Never had the blue hedgehog thought that Shadow would be such a good dancer. He knew all the moves! Sonic was mostly stumbling around, but ebony with a red strip hands had shown him what to do. It was the closes thing Sonic would get from Shadow loving him. He could feel his heart finally soothe itself from the pain.

' Tonight, ' Eyelids close themselves as he lets the ebony do whatever to him. ' You belong to me, Shadow. '