Chapter 5

Please forgive this lowly commoner!

"Carlita. That was her name, father." Prince Reginald responded in my place and focus his attention at his father. I raised my head and what greeted me was the stare-off between the father and son pair. The people felt the rising tension and trembled quietly as well.

"What problems have you aroused this time, Reginald?" The king asked his son while caressing his beard. I could see Reginald glaring at him in a hateful manner. Reginald and William, although both have the same family name, both are actually just stepbrothers. Reginald was the illegitimate child and William was the legal child. Unfortunately, Reginald was unable to witness her mother for she died when giving birth to him. Now that story sounds quite familiar, it was just like mine.

Reginald grew up filled with loneliness and resentment over his stepfamily and his father. That's where the original heroine came to comfort him and became the friend who filled up his loneliness. Kahlia added to his heart as well when she comforted Reginald at a certain accident.

Now that I've recalled his story, I actually felt a little bit guilty for reprimanding him, however, it was also a fact that he deserved it, considering that he already hurt a lot of women.

"I..." Reginald wanted to speak but was loss for words. I sent Reginald a guilty stare and quietly gathered some courage to finally face the rage of the mighty king.

"Glory and praise to the Flynkilton kingdom. Greetings to you, your majesty and his highness, the second prince. I am Carlita Mayers, a lowly commoner." I said with a polite curtsy. My father stared at me worriedly but I reassured him by secretly sending him a wink. Was that to reassure him or to reassure myself? I don't know anymore.

"Although, the second prince have created a msitake. It wasn't only his fault. I was at the wrong too." I stated and stared at the king keenly. Once he stared at me too, it was like a big bucket of cold water was thrown at me, my body froze while my shoulders slightly trembled.

"Carlita Mayers..." The king stated my name while staring at me like I'm his prey. I gulped earnestly and forced myself to look back at him. "What have my son did?" He asked me firmly with his eyes like vortex, sucking me into the endless depth and forcing me to tell him the truth. Cautiously, I spared Reginald a glance and saw him lowering his head while clenching his hands to form a tight fist. The concern for this prince suddenly occurred to me and so, I bravely stared at the king in small resentment.

"He harassed me by touching my hair, an unmarried woman's hair." I boldly told the truth, sending the king one of my most challenging look. "However, what the child did, the parents did." I stated and subtly glance at Reginald who was now looking at me in shock. The phrase I stated has a meaning, if a child does immoral things, the child must've learned it from its parents. Basically, I was telling the king for being a bad father figure and that it was his fault for not raising his son properly. I mean, he had a mistress. He might as well be considered as a womaniser.

The nobles who did not understand, kept sending me confuse gazes while those who understood my phrase, looked at me like I'm the most shameless retard they have ever seen.

"You are interesting." The king bluntly told me while caressing his beard, I could see his eyes glimmering in a dangerous light. However, instead of feeling fearful again, I got adapted quite well with his cold stares and how he treat his people. The fact that I am used to his stares now made me a bit confident that I actually showed him a smirk. A mocking smirk at that.