Chapter 14

This day-off is surprising!

Tick Tock. That was the only sound that is occupying my ears right now. The sound of a clock doing its continous melody while I am on my silent room, reminiscing about what had recently happened.

Queen Altheia was a sickly woman, that was what the novel had stated. However, there was no exact information about her unknown illness that was slowly depriving and weakening her bones making her unable to commit humanely activites. She cannot stand on her own, she cannot bath on her own, and she cannot move freely on her own. Even Kahlia was unable to heal her.

Anyways, If I wasn't here on the first place, this trouble wouldn't have happened. Sylvia's recent rage was stronger than what was stated on the novel. And, the reason for her extreme rage was because of me.

"I shouldn't have worked at the palace..." I grumbled with a low voice. Well, it's too late for regrets now... I am almost at the middle part of the story and it seems like I became someone important too. My wishes to became insignificant was all in vain because of me. I think I'm quite a hypocrite.

However... There are things that are more suspicious too. I remembered the assasin and the old woman who seemed to looked at me with eyes full of wrath. My dreams are also becoming more and more confusing each night. Although my mind repeats the same scenarios everytime I fall asleep, it was becoming more and more distorted.

Could it be that this body of mine is actually not so simple as it seems? I don't know the answer to that question.

After thinking for a minute or two, I decided to finally leave my room and gather some information of the current state and situation of the queen. I briefly brushed my hair and went out, the breezy wind immediately greeting me.

While walking on the corridors, Ophra and her assists' figures greeted my sight. In front of them was butler Vic who was talking, his eyes serious and stern.

"Ah, miss Carlita." Butler Vic exclaimed and the four girls turned their head to face me as well. I nodded in acknowledgement and went towards them with a forced smile.

"Good morning." I greeted towards them while they faked a smile and greeted me too. "How is the queen?" My smile immediately vanished and was replaced by a small frown. Everyone on the palace was startled and saddened by the news that the queen had fainted and so, no one has the courage to wholeheartedly smile and shrugged the occurrence off. Everyone loved the queen. I, myself, is included.

"Her majesty is still unconscious. However, her skin was returning its original tone and doesn't seem to be so pale anymore." Butler Vic sighed in relief while answering my question. "Additionally, today and possibly for more days, will be your day-off." Butler Vic continued.

"Day-off? Why?" I curiously asked with one of my brows raised.

"There is a traitor in the palace." Ophra was the one who responded with a glare while I could only gasp and widen my eyes. Butler Vic seems to feel remorseful too that he was actually closing his eyes and rubbing his hands.

"A traitor?" I asked in pure concern and astonishment. However, the information from the novel slowly made me recover and compose.

That's right... In the novel, the same reveal happened as well. There was a traitor in the palace who was the one who puts poison in the queen's meals everyday. However, I truly don't understand this current situation because I haven't finished the novel. But on the positive side, I knew I was innocent. Sadly, the workers on the kitchen would be the very suspicious ones. And I, myself find it to be unbelievable. Ophra, although she was strict and stern, I couldn't imagine that she would actually poison the queen. It is the same for the outgoing Kyla, elegant Amelia, and the silent Claire.