Chapter 7

I will bake a strawberry cake for the priestess!

"Oh, miss Carlita, you're here." Once I walked towards the pathway, butler Vic immediately recognised me. He helped me with my belongings by grabbing the other handle of my bag. I looked at him in gratefulness and thanked him. He just shrugged it off and told me to follow him.

We passed by the palace garden and I can't help but to admire its beauty once more. In the middle of the garden, a certain young man captivated my attention. Red hair and silver eyes, it was Reginald, the second prince. I sucked a mouthful of breath after seeing his face which was kissed by the sunlight. Right now, Reginald looks so ethereal and harmless, as if he was an angel sent by the heavens to fulfill his mission on earth.

It was a good thing that he didn't notice us. After what happened at the party, I think I wouldn't have enough courage to face him this time. My courage needs to cooldown for now.

"Miss Carlita, this is Ophra Von Rose, the palace chef." Butler Vic introduced the female in front of me. She was plain-looking but her strict appearance actually attracts the eye. Her wavy brown hair was in a neat bun and her glasses suited her charcoal eyes greatly. She looks seductive actually.

"Oh, hello! I'm Carlita Mayers as you've heard." I giggled while shaking her hand. She smiled back in return but I could feel that it was forced. Oh, so this woman is quite unfriendly, huh? She was on her early 20's based on her appearance and I could already tell that she would be very strict towards me.

"Well then, the king and his family would have their breakfast for an hour or two now. And so, I expect a very delicious meal from you as usual, miss Ophra. Oh, and a well-made dessert from you, miss Carlita." Butler Vic reminded us with his superior voice and left us quietly. I smiled at his retreating figure, admiring butler Vic's behavior.

"So... You're gonna be the palace baker now, huh? Truth to be told, I don't need anyone to help me with my job and I can assure everyone that I can bake much more yummier desserts than you. It's outrageous that the king decided to hire a very young baker like you when I could do everything myself!" This is a surprise... She dislikes me, I see.

"Hehe... Don't worry, I won't let you down." I ressured her while smiling. However, she only huffed and gave me a glare, "Tch! I certainly won't be worried! Because if you fail, I will be the one baking then!" She declared in a prideful manner, walking away as I followed her.

We passed by a lot of locations and finally arrived at the palace kitchen where Ophra usually create here impressive dishes. There were also several assists situated in the kitchen that can help Ophra prepare and cook. Looks like Ophra can't do everything by only herself anyways.

"Kyla, Amelia, Claire, this is the proclaimed new palace baker." Ophra instantly introduced me to her underlings who were also quite unfriendly. They only nodded their heads quietly and only glanced at me, not even smiling or offering a handshake. This is awkward...

"Uhm, hi! As you've heard, I am the new palace baker, Carlita Mayers!" I cheerfully exclaimed and offered my hand for a handshake, secretly hoping that one of them is kind enough to actually accept it. However, my wish was in vain for they only stared at me like I don't belong in their kitchen at all. I awkwardly took my hand back and forced a smile to appear on my face. "Uh... so, let's have a good time cooking!" I exclaimed but they only ignored me, doing their usual business of chitchatting. I looked at Ophra only to see her smugly smirking at me, as if saying that my time on the their kitchen would be very difficult.