Prologue

"I didn't think a lady could be so rude", Nathaniel snapped when Eloise yawned in his face, as he was recounting some poetry his governess had been teaching him.

Eloise rolled her playful green eyes and flopped herself onto the window seat in the gigantic library. "Well I'm not much of a lady".

Oscar burst out laughing at his older brother's reaction. "Nate, when has Eloise ever acted ladylike?" he sniggered. "We're not all as wise as you and your thirteen years".

Eloise couldn't help but giggle at Oscars words, Nathaniel on the other hand glared at him.

"Well father doesn't need you to grow up as quickly as me, since I'll be the one to get the crown", Nathaniel said smugly, and Oscar rolled his eyes. Eloise glanced between the pair, sensing the tension that was growing between them.

"Well Nathaniel, Oscar and I may just be a year younger than you, but we will eventually be thirteen and then have your wisdom", Eloise giggled and jumped up off the window seat. "I'm bored, shall we go outside?"

"Elle", Nathaniel scolded. "It's raining, you'll catch your death".

Oscar glanced at Eloise and the pair burst out laughing. "You sound like my grandmother", Eloise giggled. She walked around the library her eyes taking in the shelves and shelves of books. "Will you ever read them all?" she asked Nathaniel.

"I hope to one day", he sighed. "But I doubt I ever will".

"Oh, if I lived here all I would do is read. I'd read from sunrise to sunset and I'd hide away from all the boring dinners to read some more".

"That's an awful lot of reading for a girl", Oscar chuckled from back at the window seat and before Eloise could glare at him, he leapt from his seat. "Eloise lets go outside", he announced suddenly. Eloise's green eyes lit up as she twirled around to meet Oscars amused brown ones.

Instead of running off though she looked to Nathaniel for confirmation. "Fine, but I am not taking the blame when we get caught this time", he huffed.

"Of course, your highness", Eloise giggled with a little curtsey.

"Stop teasing and let's hurry", Nathaniel scolded. The trio hurried out of the library and into the silent hallway. They hurried along until Nathaniel sneaked them through a servant's corridor which was the quickest way to the side exit of the palace.

"If I ever tried to go through the palace alone, I'd be sure to get lost", Eloise giggled as the trio hurried out the door.

"Well that's why us two charming princes shall escort you wherever you wish to go", Oscar replied dramatically. "Now why did you want to go outside so desperately?"

Eloise glanced at the two of them, a mischievous smile on her face. "We need to have another race to see who can make it to the centre of the maze the quickest. I'm sure you cheated the last time", she explained, and glared accusingly at Oscar as she finished her statement.

"Well I thought we all could have a horse-riding race instead", Oscar chuckled, and Eloise let out a little squeal of excitement.

"No", Nathaniel protested, and Eloise glared at him.

"Why are you so serious all the time?" she huffed and folded her arms in annoyance.

"Elle", he said tentatively. "You will have to return home with your mother soon, I'm sure she would not be amused if she found you covered in mud and riding one of the royal horses".

"Fine, but I'm only agreeing with you because she will no doubt tell my grandmother who will punish me", Eloise sighed. As much as she hated to admit it, she knew Nathaniel was right for once. She was on tender hooks with her mother at the moment, who was appalled at how her daughter had begun to behave at the royal palace.